Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new muzzle loader

Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 AM

Default new muzzle loader

I'm currently looking at buy a CVA Optima Pro, was wonder what kinda of luck people have had with them, or if there is something better. Also what kinda of scopes people like for their muzzle loaders. Right now I am looking at a leaupold shotgun scope for it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Default RE: new muzzle loader

ORIGINAL: bigdreamin

I'm currently looking at buy a CVA Optima Pro, was wonder what kinda of luck people have had with them, or if there is something better. Also what kinda of scopes people like for their muzzle loaders. Right now I am looking at a leaupold shotgun scope for it.
Better is a matter of opinion,how you intend to use and what is legal for you to use.
I shoot a Savage ML and use smokeless through it. Other ML's are not safe to use smokeless through and quite a few states still have smokeless as illegal to use during ML season. My savage can also shoot 777 and BP, but I like the advantages of shooting smokeless.
From what I have heard, CVA makes pretty solid ML's, but don't be afraid to take a look at traditions, TC and others prior to buying.
Hopefully some others will give you some feedback more specific to the CVA.
Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Only thing that concerns me about a TC is price, this will be my frist ML so Im pretty green on the topic. I don't want to spend much more than $400 on the ML, may possible just get an non break open (inline???) for about $250. At any rate I really want one for ML season this year, last year I was in my stand and missed out on a beatiful 10 pointer because the bastid stood at about 55yrds out (I was hunt with a compound bow) and just stared at me almsot saying "nanana you can't get me". That was teh moment I decided I wanted to hunt with a ML
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for an inexpensive ML in the break open design then check out the Traditions Pursuit.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Being you want to hunt a few extra days and have a budget of $400.00 that means the you have to consider all the things. Rifle, scope, powder, primers, projectiles, jags, etc. Consider a less top end scope and you open more money for the rifle. I personally like the Nikon Pro Sport. I think for the dollars, they are really a great scope. Again, just my opinion.

I am sure that the Optima Pro decked out with a good scope would be an excellent rifle. Probably all the rifle you need. Especially being a bow hunter, you know how to get in close. If your shots are 100 yards and less, and of the modern inline rifles will normally throw a projectile in an accurate manner that far.

Are there better rifles? Sure there are. Have you checked some of the on line stores? Some of them are having good sales. Before you purchase an Optima, try and handle one if you haven't. See if the rifle fits you. Then check out some of the other rifles that are in your price range. The Apex, Kodiak, and handle the ones that are not in your price range. Find the rifle that fits you nice. Then also check some of the Auction gun sites. You can get some fine rifles for big savings.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Another option in the break open style is the NEF Sidekick. Usually there are some in the Gander Montain , Cabelas type stores. I have a Huntsman which is almost the same rifle and I think it is quite nice. It requires a plastic primer carrier which some like and some do not. I converted mine to use 25ACP brass with small rifle primers. Also the ramrod is rather wimpy but can be replaced with a similar one that is very good from a guy that makes them out of solid naval brass ($25 delivered). I have one and love it. It is also an American made rifle with an American company to support it if you need help.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Well $400 is my budget for just the gun and its not that I can't afford more I just can't justify spending anymore for a gun I won't shoot more than a dozen time a year.

How rugged is that Nikon Pro Sport?

I haven't actually picked up CVA Pro yet but I'm one of those lucky people that ever gun I seem to pick up fits me perfect. Of course it goes without saying I'd never buy a gun I didn't hold first.

p.s. How much of a diffrence does a break open make, I'm sure cleain is much nicer but for as much as I'll use it would an inline sufice?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigdreamin

Well $400 is my budget for just the gun and its not that I can't afford more I just can't justify spending anymore for a gun I won't shoot more than a dozen time a year.

How rugged is that Nikon Pro Sport?

I haven't actually picked up CVA Pro yet but I'm one of those lucky people that ever gun I seem to pick up fits me perfect. Of course it goes without saying I'd never buy a gun I didn't hold first.

p.s. How much of a diffrence does a break open make, I'm sure cleain is much nicer but for as much as I'll use it would an inline sufice?
Well a break open isan inline. The issue of cleaning time is not really all that critical to you. If a model takes five more minutes then a different one, for someone shooting it a week every year and a couple of range sessions... what's the big deal. But you're right, the break opens appear easier to clean and care for.

The Nikon Pro Sport is their bottom of the line rifle scopethat was just never told it was bottom of the line. I like the 2-7x32mm Shotgun/muzzleloader scope. I like them so much I bought some extra onesthat were on sale for future rifle projects. The scope has excellent clarity, a excellent light gathering ability, it seems indestructable so far, sharp looking, great eye relief (which is important), and all for around $139.00 (they had them on sale for $89.95 by mistake now it looks, but too bad. I bought a couple of them.).

I would think that Optima Pro and a Nikon would be a good 150 yard rifle with practice. Another rifle to look at might be an Omega Z5 from Thompson Center. I have seen them for as little as $259.00. If you find after shooting them (and you will) that you really enjoy hunting with them, you could update the rifle with a quality thumbhole stock or who knows. With a Nikon Scope on that, it is all the rifle you would ever need. Plus you have Thompson Center's warranty behind you.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Spike

I bought an Optima Pro this year and love it. Remove the screw in the foregrip and the barrel comes off for a thorough cleaning in the tub. This gun is so easy to clean I shoot it more. Shooting with my hunting partner 2 weeks ago he was shooting a Remington 700 bolt and a CVA Kodiak [I believe] with the rolling block, I had my gun cleaned and helped clean his.
The gun shoots awesome also, with 100 gr. of Triple 7 [loose powder] and 245 grain Powerbelt hollow points I was 3-4 inches high at 100 yds. and 3-4 inches low at 200 yds. Can't wait for September, I get to try for a Mulie in Colorado with my Optima Pro.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: wannaBelkhuntin

I bought an Optima Pro this year and love it. Remove the screw in the foregrip and the barrel comes off for a thorough cleaning in the tub. This gun is so easy to clean I shoot it more. Shooting with my hunting partner 2 weeks ago he was shooting a Remington 700 bolt and a CVA Kodiak [I believe] with the rolling block, I had my gun cleaned and helped clean his.
The gun shoots awesome also, with 100 gr. of Triple 7 [loose powder] and 245 grain Powerbelt hollow points I was 3-4 inches high at 100 yds. and 3-4 inches low at 200 yds. Can't wait for September, I get to try for a Mulie in Colorado with my Optima Pro.
That sounds to be an excellent load. What unit are you hunting? I'll be all over in the Meeker area.

Quick Reply: new muzzle loader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.