Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Yukon

Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Traditions Yukon

I bought a traditions Yukon last year based on price. Went 0 for during season since I didn't see any. Iam shooting 100grain with a 285g powerbelt. Was putting 5 shot grouping in 2" at 50-60yards this weekend with fixed sights. Any thoughts as to the qaulity of this muzzle loader?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traditions Yukon

I own a Genesis which is basically the same gun. I personally love mine. From everyone I've talked to that owns one of these they all love powerbelts-mine included. However, I'm too cheep to shoot them and after the sucess I've had w/XTPs I now only shoot 300g XTPs.

2' group sounds pretty good for me w/open sights.That'll kill a deer for certain. I put a new scope on mine last week soI had to sight it in again andhere's what mine will do w/the load I use to hunt with (100g Pyrodex RS, 300g XTP, Crush Rib Sabot) This was shot at 50 yards. (Shot 1, adjusted, 2, adjusted, 3&4, adjusted, 5&6, adjusted, 7&8 packed it up and went home)

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/?action=view&current=IMG_9685B.jpg

Quality is great in my opinion. I have shot many, many inlines and it'll kill a deer just as good as any other one will. The only thing that I wish was a little better is the trigger. It has too much creep in it for my personal prefrence but it must not be too bad as I haven't done anything to change it. But if you search here on the forum, somebody not too long ago found a way to improve it. Cleaning it is a cinch and I love the feel of it. All things considered, it will serve you well.

Hope this helps and hopefully you'll get a chance to try it out next year.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM

I know this was meant to be a shorter, handier rifle (like the Model 7 of centerfires)but thosegroups still aren't good considering that. With some load experimenting I think you could shoot 1-2" at 50 yards instead of 2-3. That said, I thinkTraditions could've riskedputting some slightly more expensive sights on it, but overall if you keep your loads to reasonable pressures thisshould be a good close range weapon.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bobnan

I bought a traditions Yukon last year based on price. Went 0 for during season since I didn't see any. Iam shooting 100grain with a 285g powerbelt. Was putting 5 shot grouping in 2" at 50-60yards this weekend with fixed sights. Any thoughts as to the qaulity of this muzzle loader?
Well since you own it, you would be a better judge of the quality of the rifle then I am since I do not. Is it easy to clean? Does the action lock well? How is the trigger pull.. crisp and breaks clean? How does the barrel and hardware fit in relation to the stock? If you're happy with the rifle, then this is a mute point.

Shooting a 2" group with open sights at 60 yards is very good shooting IMO. I have friends who brag about a super tightgroups with their open sights at 50 &100 yards, and have yet to see one do it. They always have a bad day. Most of them shoot between a 2+ inch group at fifty yards, and much worse at 100 yards. Always seems like one of them devils will sneak away. I have good days on the range and then some days we would rather not discuss. Also some people measure groups much different then I do. So you need to not let that worry you too much.Practice and load work is the best way to shrink groups.

So IMO your rifle is shooting about normal. Plenty good for harvesting a whitetail or two at 100 yards. Without a scope, I would be hard pressed to shoot further myself. Not that the rifle can not, it is just that my eye sight does not allow it. Everything would have to be perfect for me to try a long shot. I do try and practice out to 125 yards but we are not shooting any 2" group there either.

Another excellent point was made in this discussion already. Sights, or should we say lack of. Some rifles have excellent sights that really fit the shooter and his style. Some people love the fiber optics, others consider them too large and hate them. Some like a round bead front sight while others prefer a blade. Peep sights while accurate, can be a pain in low light conditions. I like RED DOT scopes and 1X scopes personally. If you are not happy with your sights, consider changing them to something you do like. I have done this with a couple rifles...

I am sure that Traditions makes a good rifle. I have a number of Traditions rifles and they are all good shooters. The main thing is, if you are happy with the rifle, that is all that matters. By the way, in the very first part of my rant I asked some questions about the overall conditions of the rifle. What is your opinions on those questions?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

cayugad,
The Yukon is very easy to clean, Breach plug is very easy to get out. The trigger pull is very sharp and clean, breaks exactly when I want and expect it to. No slop or play in it. Everything fits snuggly together. The only problem I have foun is the action sometimes slides down when I was in the field and would lose the cap without knowing it. I don't know if there is a way to adjust it. Overall I am very happy with it. Just wasn't sure if the cheap price (paid 140) was an indication of a cheap gun. I was given a scope this weekend for it will get it mounted soon and post a picture on here. I do not always shoot that well. Like everyone else all depends on the day. A 100 yd shot without scope is beyond me, eyes can't see that well. Thanks for the input. Hoping the second season the weather will cooperate, not be to warm here in Maryland.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Its a great muzzy for the money. I almost bought a camo/nickel yukon for $200. Even the truglo sights were good.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I got a $39.95 CVA .54 caliber Mountain Stalker (a.k.a. Bobcat)RifleI bought. Its a sidelock of course. My friends just howled laughing when I brought it to a shoot, to show it off. They really got a kick out me spending only $40.00 for a rifle. Then when we started shooting that day, all laughing stopped. That deer season it harvested three nice deer with three shots. Since that time three of them have purchased CVA Bobcats for $59.95 for their kids. I bet you could not make a one of them give their rifles up.

Never judge a rifle by the price of the gun. If you're happy with the rifle's accuracy, the fit, the way it shoots, and maintance is acceptable, who cares what someone else thinks. You load the rifle according to manufacturer's recommendations and it will last you a life time. It sounds like you have a real good rifle. I would not put that is the cheap or poor quality catagory for a rifle. I seriously thought about getting one of them when Sportsman's Guide had them on sale for $149.00 but managed to talk myself out of it.

As for that problem that you mentioned about the action sliding down, drop Tradition's an email, or give them a call and see what they say. I would bet there is a simple fix to that matter as well. Good luck with your rifle.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Im sure a couple squirts of Molly would help the action slide down easier. That stuff is amazing. I did a couple coats on my winchester trigger to see what it would do, I had to learn how to shoot it all over again because it made the trigger a lot better. I always could feel just a tiny bit of grit. Thats all gone now and its been a few months since i did it.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im laughing at that price Cayugad cause thats about the reaction I got when I told em I paid $89 for my first inline which was a Traditions Buckhunter around 1998 or so. Its still dropping deer...but the funny thing is the laughter long ago subsided....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I bought my Winchester 30/30 Lever action in 1997 and I got it dirt cheap. $100.00 and it is still going strong wether on the range or in the field.

Quick Reply: Traditions Yukon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.