Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 wolf muzzel loaders >

wolf muzzel loaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wolf muzzel loaders

Old 07-06-2007, 01:57 AM

Default wolf muzzel loaders

i am looking to get into ml this year.looking to buy a wolf muzzel loader with scope and loading supplies for $130. is it a good deal? from what i understand its loaded from the rear like a break down shot gun.i dont know anything about muzzel loading but willing to learn as i go.ive seen what some ppl have said about shooting it 1st before i buy,and checking for a fouled barrel.but if i find that it shoots strait should i but it or buy something new.i am prob gonna look at it tomorrow which it july 6th. but cant shoot it till sunday.because i gotta work.any help between now and then will be greatly thankful....thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wolf muzzel loaders

Welcome to the forum. I'm assuming we're talking about a CVA wolf, which is a pretty decent rifle for the $$$$$. It's nothing fancy, but the ones I've shot were prettygood shooters. If it's in good condition, that's not a bad deal. New, the rifle alone runs $139.99 through cabelas. Check the barrel for rust and pitting and open and close the barrel action to check for a good, snug fit.
All muzzleloaders are loaded from the front/muzzle (powder goes down the barrel followed by the bullet), but the the primer/cap is inserted at the rear/breach.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: spidervenom

i am looking to get into ml this year.looking to buy a wolf muzzel loader with scope and loading supplies for $130. is it a good deal? from what i understand its loaded from the rear like a break down shot gun.i dont know anything about muzzel loading but willing to learn as i go.ive seen what some ppl have said about shooting it 1st before i buy,and checking for a fouled barrel.but if i find that it shoots strait should i but it or buy something new.i am prob gonna look at it tomorrow which it july 6th. but cant shoot it till sunday.because i gotta work.any help between now and then will be greatly thankful....thanks
The CVA Wolf is the low end of their break open design rifles. Depending on the scope and rings included, it might be a good deal. You seem to want a break open design rifle and not spend a lot of money so that would be a good place to look.

Look the rifle over close for rust. Check the barrel for rust and pits. Work the action, hammer, trigger. See how hard of a pull the trigger has. Other then that it should be a good little rifle, although... if you're willing to wait and save up some more money, the higher end rifles like some of the Knights and Thompson Centers I believe are going to be coming down in price. Both companies have introduced new rifles to their stables. And when that happens the older models are phased out and often times as considerable savings for a very excellent rifle.

Also welcome to the forum.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya if the Wolf is in good condition go for it if it comes with all that stuff.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one and like it. Purchased it around Christmas time just to see if I'd like hunting with it. I'm impressed with the way my Wolf patterns. Some day I might buy a better outfit but for now the CVA works for me. I'd have to have some land where I could go out and shoot a lot to justify buying a more expensive muzzleloader though. I only hunt during the firearms season so I'll only use mine to hunt with 7 days a year. The rest of the year I just shoot it for fun when I get a chance to go to the gun club.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

It sounds like form your post that he gun is used - if I am reading correctly. If this is one of your friends selling this to you it could be tempting to buy, but I dont think I would.

Why not just buy a brand new one, then you know the barrell shoots straight and there is no corrosion and pitting. You might find out it dosent shoot the way you want it to a month down the road and wish you wouldnt have boughten it.

I shot a CVA Buckhorn for a number of years and hunted deer successfully many times. These two rifles are comporable I believe. I recommend CVA but have realized once I bought an Omega that it is 10 times easier and faster to clean. But it will cost $100 or $150 more.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: spidervenom

Well, gee, I would not think so! A decent scope that is rugged enough to stand up to hunting use on a rifle that has any recoil at all would cost more than $130.00 new. So if you can get the rifle and scope for $130.00, I would not expect much of it. However, I am sure that any rifle CVA sells is going to be safe enough. But I would be surprised if it was reasonably accurate with such a scope on it, AND I surewouldnot spend any money on a hunt and take that as my rifle. Most inexpensive scopes seem to have reasonable optics, but their mechanical components are oiften a source of trouble-like, you can't depend on the adjustments to work, or stay set after being adjusted.

However, you could buy the thing and spend all summer finding out how reliable it is, and if it is accurate enough for you. If, after several hundred rounds, it seems to be satisfactory, and you can hunt near home without spending a lot of money, then take it out a couple of times. It may prove to beOK, but may not!
Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

the cva wolf is a stripped down optima. i bought a new one for 99$ without the scope. loading tools and even a cheap scope is gonna set you back at least 50$ so if it shoots fine your good to go. should take less than 10 shots to see if its a shooter.even if say a year down the road you want something nicer im sure you could get most all you money back selling it.