Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Fun with a Flintlock >

Fun with a Flintlock

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fun with a Flintlock

Old 06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Fun with a Flintlock

Today was a perfect day for shooting. Not hot and no wind. I wanted to try some different powder in the new Tradition's Woodsman Flintlock and see how it worked. I decided to try some Swiss 3f and use it as prime. I only loaded 70 grains of it, but the stuff worked great.

I set the target at 30 yards and my first shot hit an inch and a half high, but nothing I could not live with. I then shot ten more rounds, without swabbing the barrel. To say I was happy with the accuracy would be an easy guess.

I then swabbed the barrel and shot 370 grain Maxiball with the same 70 gr of Swiss 3f. I used my homemade lube for the conicals. I shot at that half of a old bulls eye that was showing, making the challenge to myself to not hit the black if at all possible. I shot five rounds of conical again at 30 yards. Recoil was a little stiff in the light rifle but accuracy was very good. Also with the curved butt of the stock and the brass base plate, there was a little "digging in" of the butt stock plate.

After all of this, I took and set up soda cans at 50 yards and pushed them around in the trap for a while. For a rifle with a 1:48 twist this is a good roundball and conical shooter.

Also I am very impressed with the speed of the lock on this rifle. It never failed. I have been out three times with the same flint, although it is now about ready to change out.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Default RE: Fun with a Flintlock

Great shooting with that rifle! My new flintlock should be in late next week hopefully. You going to hunt with the traditions this year?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Great shooting with that rifle! My new flintlock should be in late next week hopefully. You going to hunt with the traditions this year?
if the mood suits me that day. I just walk by the rack and pick one I think will be lucky. Also I think of weather conditions. It might get a day or two out there.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Groups like that are always fun!!!!!!!
Good shooting!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I decided to make some noise today to celebrate the 4th of July. I got out a .50 caliber T/C Hawkins flintlock. I was shooting 90 grains of Graf's Black Powder 2f. Using pillow tick patches and my moose milk lube. I had a little orange dot on the center of that paper plate, but it disappeared during the shooting. The rifle shot excellent even though it was 90 degrees outside. Also the rifle lock was fast, and never had a misfire. Flintlocks are alot of fun to shoot.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Great shooting. But i must say, It looks like the traditions shot tighter groups. I did some shooting to with the .45 deer creek and 255 grain maxi hunters. I swear i will never buy anymore of those bullets lol. 2" 3 shot group @ 50 yards. I got that at 150 yards with powerbelts. This 4th of july is hotter than hell. Great shooting cayugad, How is your 4th of july going? Any special plans?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Today was a perfect day for shooting. Not hot and no wind. I wanted to try some different powder in the new Tradition's Woodsman Flintlock and see how it worked. I decided to try some Swiss 3f and use it as prime. I only loaded 70 grains of it, but the stuff worked great.

I set the target at 30 yards and my first shot hit an inch and a half high, but nothing I could not live with. I then shot ten more rounds, without swabbing the barrel. To say I was happy with the accuracy would be an easy guess.

I then swabbed the barrel and shot 370 grain Maxiball with the same 70 gr of Swiss 3f. I used my homemade lube for the conicals. I shot at that half of a old bulls eye that was showing, making the challenge to myself to not hit the black if at all possible. I shot five rounds of conical again at 30 yards. Recoil was a little stiff in the light rifle but accuracy was very good. Also with the curved butt of the stock and the brass base plate, there was a little "digging in" of the butt stock plate.

After all of this, I took and set up soda cans at 50 yards and pushed them around in the trap for a while. For a rifle with a 1:48 twist this is a good roundball and conical shooter.

Also I am very impressed with the speed of the lock on this rifle. It never failed. I have been out three times with the same flint, although it is now about ready to change out.
Very nice, that is really putting them in there 30 yards open sights PRB, very nice. The flintlocks are fun, they are a lot harder to shoot I think because of lock time. An inline is pull the trigger and the gun fires, a FL is a pull and a hold for a split second, and holding it tight makes all the difference. Great shooting. 50 yards too looks great with the TC.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

My 4th of July is just how I like it... quiet and no crowds. I spent years in the city. Crowds, traffic, noise, no thanks. not anymore. It is a nice quiet place for me now. Other then the noise I make shooting off rifles. I was invited to two different 4th parties, but again, not something I want to get involved in. Instead I cooked out, and relaxed with some ice tea.

Some of the people out celebrating withfireworks are dangerous. I really like fireworks, but too many people have fireworks and they combine them with alcohol and children. That is just an accident waiting to happen. They just have no business playing with them. The further away from them I am, the better.

Yes the Traditions shot a tighter group, but was 20 yards closer. I intend on shooting that somemore next week, although my New Englander should be here this week. So I have more rifles to shoot...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad, just a quick question. Those are great groups, are you using a rest or just off sandbags?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought a $22.00 Caldwell rest that I am using. It seems to work pretty good actually.

Quick Reply: Fun with a Flintlock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.