Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone hunting Deer with BP pistols? >

Anyone hunting Deer with BP pistols?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone hunting Deer with BP pistols?

Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone hunting Deer with BP pistols?

Ive been researching the idea os getting a revolver or single shot bp pistol, and am wanting it to try for deer hunting. Can anyone recommend one they use?

I see a Traditions Deer Hunter which is a single shot for around $300 at Bass Pro? Would this be worth trying?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone hunting Deer with BP pistols?

I am not sure how well it would work but your range would be very limited.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:37 PM

i was looking at those too. I would only beable to use it during rifle season in colorado, but it would still be fun.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

I used a 54 cal Lyman pistol this last season in WI. 50 gr 2 f and PRB. It is more or less like bow hunting ranges 40 yds and under.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

Ive been researching the idea os getting a revolver or single shot bp pistol, and am wanting it to try for deer hunting. Can anyone recommend one they use?

I see a Traditions Deer Hunter which is a single shot for around $300 at Bass Pro? Would this be worth trying?

Thanks
I think I read in some post that the can take a charge of 70 grains of powder. Which if that barrel burns it all, would be enough velocity to get the job done, as long as you did not shoot too far. I have a black powder revolver, but they do not make standards for hunting in Wisonsin. Plus I am not sure I would ever use them anyway.

They would be fun to shoot in at the range if nothing else. Should be some good recoil there for the hand cannon. Also there are some home madeblack powder pistols out there that really look nice. Some have used them. One poster I know of mounted a RED DOT on his and has used it deer hunting.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken deer with a TC Patriot and a Rugar [use bullet not ball in the rugar] they tend to run farther,I would guess thats because the lower velocity delivers less shock. Lee
Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

Thanks
I hunted a couple of times with a Ruger Od Army loaded with round balls and 40 grains of Pyrodex P. Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot, so still have no idea how well (or poorly) it would have performed.

At present, I am in the process of building a flintlock .50 cal. with a slow-twist 11.5" barrel. I plan to try up to 50 grains of FFFg in this one with a PRB. Hopefully, it will develop enough velocity to be useful fro deer hunting..... We shall see (in about 6 months or so!!)
Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger I hunt with. I shot one small doe at 25 yards. The round ball did not exit, and I did not find it. It probably came out when we gutted the deer. The deer ran about 100 yards. It was not very startled, and it did not run very hard. It was really a trot. I would limit my shots with it to 30 yards. It is very accurate out to 30 yards(2 to 3 inch groups). But then that is about it. It opens up after 30 yards.

The pistol "gunks" up very fast. Three accurate shots is it. You either have to clean it or stop shooting. I like to take it in the squirrel woods occasionally. I load three cylinders. Then I load my additional cylinder with three shots. After three shots I clean it in the woods. Or I go home. Tom.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:08 AM

I've got a 2006 model year Traditions BuckHunter Pro single shot pistol that I am very pleased with. Mine has the 12 inch barrel with the compensator (14 inches overall) and I opted for the All Weather Finish (silver with black grips) in 50 cal.

Have been shooting 245 grain HP Powerbelts over 55 grains of T7 ignited by standard CCI #10 caps. Larger charges (60 grains or more) do not burn completely as evidenced when I swab the barrel between shots. I keep it at 50 -55 grains. I swab with windshield washer fluid. (works for me)

I can consistently hit a 2# coffee canout to50 yards with the factory open sights ( I don't do scopes very well and the factory sights are nice and dead nuts out of the box) freehanded and can hit the same target at 60 yards in aright knee down/left elbow-left knee rest.....beyond that, I can't see the target (getting old I guess)....will keep the hunting yardage to 50 yards or less as the confidence level is very high there.

The PowerBelts will fully penetrate6x8 red pine posts at that yardage and the coffee cans packed with damp sand will stop the slugs but be thrown back few feet, and gallon plastic milk jugs with water are a hoot when the hollow point hits them!

Cleaning the gun is simple and only takes me about 15-20 minutes from tear down to fully reassembled.

As far as other bullet/sabot combos go with this gun, I can't really say other than the Traditions XTP/Sabot combo just plain sucks with mine....hard to load.....inaccurate as well.....thePowerBelts work well for me as well as the T7 (have not tried another powder, but see no need to for my application)

Am thinking it will be a good short range deer gun and will know more about thatin November!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, the barrel is inletted, the lock plate is in, the barrel key is in, and two thunderbird escutcheons for the barrel key are ready, cut from German Silver.

The front and rear sight are on. Next step is to inlet the lock parts, then make a trigger bar and trigger. That'll probably take a week. And another week to inlet the trigger mechanism and make sure the trigger & lock are working. Then I'll probably buy a cast triggerguard. After installing the triggerguardcomes the stock shaping and inlay inletting. Then the polishing and browning ofthe barrel, lock, and final finishing of the curly maple stock...

Then comes load development. Don't know whether to stich to PRB or try the 250-grain Lee .50 R.E.A.L. Maybe by deer season I'll have a pistol to try......

Quick Reply: Anyone hunting Deer with BP pistols?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.