Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Can't win for loseing >

Can't win for loseing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can't win for loseing

Old 06-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can't win for loseing

Today was a great day in south east wisconsinm temps in the low 70's. I went out and shoot my .54 cal deerstalker to get a better feel for it for deer season. I usually use 80 grains of goex ffg and a hornady great plains conical. My groups aren't great (I only shot the gun a few times since feb when I bought it), about 1 inch at 50 yards with peep sight. I tried some round balls and 70 grains of ffg My groups got tighter (two out of four shots touching and the other two were close. (couldn't belive it was my target.) Now I gotta decide weather to use conicals or round balls.

Oh and My girlfriend shot the deer stalker and she hated it. It scared her when the powder in the pan went off and that made her miss the target all together from 20 yards.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can't win for loseing

ORIGINAL: Wimuzzleman

Today was a great day in south east wisconsinm temps in the low 70's. I went out and shoot my .54 cal deerstalker to get a better feel for it for deer season. I usually use 80 grains of goex ffg and a hornady great plains conical. My groups aren't great (I only shot the gun a few times since feb when I bought it), about 1 inch at 50 yards with peep sight. I tried some round balls and 70 grains of ffg My groups got tighter (two out of four shots touching and the other two were close. (couldn't belive it was my target.) Now I gotta decide weather to use conicals or round balls.

Oh and My girlfriend shot the deer stalker and she hated it. It scared her when the powder in the pan went off and that made her miss the target all together from 20 yards.
[hr]

A one inch group at 50 yards is sure nothing to complain about in my book. Nice shooting. It sounds like you have a real round ball shooter there. Now start pushing the powder to them until the groups break.

Round balls are a very lethal projectile. They are under rated in my book. I watched a person drop a deer in their tracks at just over 100 yards with a .50 caliber Kentucky long rifle and a roundball. Either of those projectiles you mentioned will work just fine on deer if you do your part and put that in the right place.

Your girlfriend needs to shoot more. Have her wear eye protection and give her a big speech about how that makes her safe, tell her that it will protect her from any spark in the pan. Don't mention the powder smudge that will form on the side of your face. Some people are real sensative to that kind of stuff.

The way to ignore that pan is to concentrate through the shot. Tell her to watch the roundball leave the barrel and hit the target. Have her shoot at fun things that kind of explode if you can. Like pop cans filled with water, or fruit that is a little old. (One of my favorite)They learn to look through the flash that way because they want to see the object get blown up. The more you shoot the more you learn to forget the pan flash.I never really even see it anymore. In fact when it misfires, I have to look to see if the pan went off even since I never saw it.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can't win for loseing

ORIGINAL: Wimuzzleman

Use whichever bullet or ball shoots best in your gun. The flinch your girlfriend experienced is NOT UNUSUAL for new flintlock shooters. I am glad to see someone posting here that is NOT using an inline! Don't let anyone try to tell you that the flintlock is not up to the job of killing deer!