Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cva wolf or cva buckhorn >

cva wolf or cva buckhorn

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva wolf or cva buckhorn

Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cva wolf or cva buckhorn

Depending on how big you are now and how fast you are growing I would encourage you to consider the Optima also. I bought one for my 13/14 year old and he likes it. He wanted the Wolf but I missed all the Walmart close out deals for <$100 and most other places wanted around $140 for it. I came across a nearly new Optima on auctionarms.com and got it for $115 + shipping and didn't look back. If your using open sights, the extra 2" of sight radius the longer barrel gives you will be noticed in your accuracy. If you can handle the longer barrel length of the pro and can score a deal on one of those it would be even better. Also with the Optima, you can always add the pro barrel of your choice later as you grow into it.

For a starter rifle the CVA's do a good job for a reasonable price. The TC's and Knight's are nice and do have a quality advantage in their build but not neccessarily in their performance and accuracy, that has more to do with the shooter than the gun 99% of the time.

Good luck with whatever you get and keep us posted on how it goes. It's good to see some young people jumping in and participating.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Terbzz: I know you specifically asked about two CVA's, but please consider the NEF Sidekick rifle. About the only downfall I can see with that rifle is that it requires primer carriers, like Knight rifles. Other options would be an Omega Z-5 or Knight Wolverine. Both of those guns come with starter kits. Problem is, they'll both set you back 'bout $300 new. Here's a blue/walnut Sidekick from Cabela's for $180. I'm sure you can find them elsewhere for less: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true
P.S. I vote for the Wolf
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Spike

terbzz, bought a Buckhorn at Walmart last winter on clearance for $99. Am amazed at how accurate it can be. I'm getting 3" or better groups at 100 yds, 1.5" at 50 and even 6" groups so far at 200 yards. Easy to clean, easy to carry, only about 6 pounds. The sights are wonderful, bright and easy to aquire the target with. Looking forward to filling out my ml bull tag this September with it!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 AM

I would say that you should save for a little while longer and buy a TC Omega. Right now you can get one for about 250 bucks(super cheap) at Cabelas right now. They're clearing them out to make room for the Triumph.

If you must buy one of the CVAs, I like the Buckhorn better. Good luck. Don't be hasty with yor decision. You'll be happier if you can get the best one for you, even if it takes longer to save for.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM

I would vote Wolf, but for a cheap muzzleloader you can get a Traditions Pursuit for $169 from Midsouth.IMO that's a much better choice for not a lot more money.http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00139R71003450