Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Green mt. barrel hang fires? >

Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Idle curiosity Q fer ya, does the breech plug have a *clean out port* in the side or is it a solid casting?

Iffen it has a clean out, pull the plug and do a MAJOR cleaning number from the port to the breech (inside the barrel) using the pipe cleaners with the nylon bristles or yer preferred method. Secondarily look for burrs in said port that *may* be causing a delay of the cap spark to the powder.

Frankly Ive had my own brand of hassles with some of the breech plug casters and usually end up redoing the breech to a Nock style geometry (bell shaped main area plus opening up the port to the nipple a bit more via grinding, etc.) when I build my rifles. Sorta "blueprinting" the breech plug as it were.

Of note is that with this type of work to the breech plug in conjunction with a lock tuning one can get some mighty fast reaction times out of rock locks this way (comparable to side hammer cap locks)

Keep yer powder dry,

D.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should try CCI #11mags. That is your problem. Maybe try a hot shot nipple to.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

. . . and as I said, with a few grainsunder the nipple, no problems.
That seems to suggest that your powder isn't getting under the nipple. So I'd follow David's suggestion for cleaning out the breech. Roundball makes a good point about blackpowder, but if the sub is under the nipple it will ignite as you have found out. If you wish to use a sub, I have had the best success with Pyro P, which is of very fine granulation (which aids in filling under the nipple) and propells PRB, grain for grain, much faster than BP. For consistency and accuracy, blackpowder still wins for me, though.

Be sure to tap the butt of your rifle gently to help settle the powder under the nipple. When I do that step, I will tilt the rifle so the nipple is "downhill" of the breech to aid the flow there. Larger grains can more easily bridge, sothe finer granulation of subs will generally do better.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 PM

hangfires/ misfires used to happen all the time on my deercreek rifle. Finally drilled out the original nipple and hadnt had a hangfire. Just bougt a new one at the rendezvous a few days ago. Not sure what it is but its SS and has a really deep dish under the nipple that allows the flash to get more into the drum.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hubbard MagSpark works well with the BP subs. I havea T/C 12 ga that will hang fire with about every sub powder I've tried. Goex ffg lights off every time with a #11 cap! The MagSpark nipple & 209 primers cure ignition problems, but I found on the T/C the nipple was long enough to be dangerous! I noticed the hammer was very close to the nipple on half cock. I tried bringing the hammer back to almost full cock & letting it slip out from under my thumb (with an unloaded barrel, but a primer in the nipple) - IT FIRED!!!!!!!! If you try the MagSpark be sure to check for clearance!!!!!!!!