Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Green mt. barrel hang fires? >

Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Old 06-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Took my new Green mountain barrel out yesterday for the first time. I could not get it to fire with 777 without a hangfire on my T/C renegade. Brought it home anddid a good soap and water cleaning followed by a butch'sbore shine.

Thought maybe the 777had something to dowith it, so today I got some pyrodex select, thought that might make a difference. Same thing,2 out ofthree shots would have a hangfire. I solved the problem byloading with bullet andpowder, then taking the nipple out and pouring a few grains in under the nipple, no more missfires, but I hate to have to do that every time.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this? I was using CCI # 11 percussion caps, that were a couple of years old, but they seem to go off every time and as I said, with a few grainsunder the nipple, no problems.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Yes, get rid of the subs and use Goex 3F...once you try Goex you'll never use a BP sub again...outstanding powder...extremely fast ignition, clean buring, consistent, and accurate.

I used to usePyrodexin my caplocks...but when I switched to Flintlocks I had to switch toreal blackpowder, and was shocked at the performance of Goex...rezeroed all my caplocks with Goex 3F.

And the icing on the cake is that if you buy it by the case, it's total delivered price to your dooris about $11.00 a pound...get a couple guys to split up the 25 1lb cans so it's more affordable.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

I have three of the GM percussion barrels and I really can not say that I have a real problem with hangfires...

A couple of thoughts I might share with you, one I have switched to T7-3f instead of 2f. I am a lot more confident about the powder getting out the flash channel from the barrel and under the nipple with 3f. When I load I place the rifle on angle that will aid the powder falling into and under the nipple. I also will then with the palm of my hand tap the side of the rifle opposit the nipple and hopefully force a little more out under the nipple. 2f tends to jamb up in the flash channel and not make it out under the nipple. two, if there is any moister at all in the flash channel area the powder will not make it out and it might be a devil to get started. So if these hangfires are occurring after swabbing the barrel your patch is probably to wet... Do not use a wet patch, use a moist patch. I use regualr windex with ammonia as my cleaner, I prepare a bunch of patches and then push as much windex back out as I canwith my thumbs.The ammonia inWindex or the alcohol in Cayugads solution will help the moisture evaporate. If you have used a wet patch and then follow witha dry patch it will not dry the moisture at the bottom of the breech or what may have gotten into the flash channel.

Next time you shoot or even now that you have shot sid you ever see powder out under the nipple?

If you are using CCI #11's that might also be part of the problem. CCI make two #11 caps, one is a standard #11 and the other is a #11 Magnum. The tin will say Magnum on it. If I could suggest and if you can find them get some Dynamit Noble #1075+ caps they are the ones that I use and have really been good for me. I'll use CCI #11 Mags in the warmer weather but when it is really cold I go right to the 1075's.

I just gave you some thoughts without knowing more information it is really hard to pin-point the problem... Hope some of this helps...

Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

Took my new Green mountain barrel out yesterday for the first time. I could not get it to fire with 777 without a hangfire on my T/C renegade. Brought it home anddid a good soap and water cleaning followed by a butch'sbore shine.

Thought maybe the 777had something to dowith it, so today I got some pyrodex select, thought that might make a difference. Same thing,2 out ofthree shots would have a hangfire. I solved the problem byloading with bullet andpowder, then taking the nipple out and pouring a few grains in under the nipple, no more missfires, but I hate to have to do that every time.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this? I was using CCI # 11 percussion caps, that were a couple of years old, but they seem to go off every time and as I said, with a few grainsunder the nipple, no problems.

[hr]

That is strange because my GMB's shoot about anything I put down them. First things I would do is make sure the nipple is not clogged. Also make sure it is a stainless steel hot shot nipple. Next I would get some new caps. Some CCI #11 MAGNUM caps, or RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 would be my choice. Remington claims their new caps are 40% hotter but I think they meant 40% duds.

Also make sure that barrel is real clean. Do a good soap and water bath just in case there is grease in the bolster. Remove the bolster clean out screw when you give it that water bath. And really force the water through there. Then set that barrel up somewhere and pour boiling hot water through it. Then WITH LEATHER GLOVES ON, run a couple of dry patches to make sure the barrel is dry, then run a good oil patch through the barrel to protect it.

Before you shoot next time, swab the barrel with some 91% isopropyl alcohol. After that run dry patches down the barrel until they come up bone dry. Then on the jag, push a patch to the bottom of the breech and pop a #11 cap. Now pull that patch and inspect it. There should be burn marks on it. If there is, that means fire is coming through the bolster fire channel into the breech and the rifle should fire. Now pop two or three more caps through the rifle.

After you then load but before you cap.. take a nipple pick and push it through the nipple into the bolster. This will make sure the fire channel is open as well. Also turn the rifle to the lock side and slap the side of the rifle. This will force powder into the area where the fire channel exits the bolster and enters the breech.

If all this fails, try some Goex Black powder. If the problem persists, then I would get a hold of GMB and ask them to trade it out as it does not work properly.

So basically check your caps, and your nipple and pay attention to your loading procedure. If the hang fires were happening after you swabbed, swab the barrel with pure isopropyl and then run some dry patches through the barrel. This is all I can think of.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions. To give a little more info:

I was using standard # 11 CCI caps
I was running a wetpatch with T/C bore cleaner down followed by 2 dry patches between each shot.
I was holding it and bumping the barrel trying to get some powder into the flash channel when I loaded
Most times when I removed the nipple, there was at least one grain of powder seen.
I am using the stainless steel nipple that came on the GMB

Tonight, I gave it a good soad and water bath again followed by boiling water rinse. Next time I go out, I will change to Windex or isopropyl alcohol as my in-between swabbing solution. And I will get some newmagnum primers.

It has been a while since I have fired my sidelock, so it may take a little bit to get back into the swing of things, but the pendilum is swinging in that direction for me to use the renegade for elk this fall!

As a side note, it did shoot well with T/C maxiballs.Tried No excuses and great plains too, and it didn't seem to like them, however, I only had time to try one powder amount for each bullet. Will do some more experimenting.

Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

I was using standard # 11 CCI caps Switching to #11 mags will help especially in colder weather....
I was running a wetpatch with T/C bore cleaner down followed by 2 dry patches between each shot. Personally I would not suggest bore cleaner - to wet... and stays wet.
I was holding it and bumping the barrel trying to get some powder into the flash channel when I loaded This is the right idea... it really does not take much moisture to foul the flash channel
Most times when I removed the nipple, there was at least one grain of powder seen. good...
I am using the stainless steel nipple that came on the GMB excellent

If you want try this... take a clean dry patch, place it on your tongue and moisten it a bit... that is about all the moisture you need especially with T7 and if you switch to T7-3f it even burns cleaner than 2f.

What I do is place 15/20 patches in a container something like the a small tupper ware bowl. Pour windex in and pretty much saturate the patches, then with my thumbs and fingers press the pile down to ring out as much windex as I can, just pour it back into the bottle. When you have them about as dry as you can get them, they are really still a bit to wet, but put a lid on the bowl or put them in a zip lock and in a day or two they will be just right. Windex is an excellent T7 cleaner it really melts the stuff including the famous "crud ring" if you get one. If you ge the "crud ring" at the bottom of the barrel remember to work the ring with short quick strokes.

When you are done shooting run 3-4 windex patches and on the on the 3/4 patch it will come out pretty clean -and further cleaning at home will be a piece of cake...

another thing I do is remove the clean out screw and run a Windex treated pipe cleaner through and into the barrel. Actually CVA make an excellent pipe cleaner just for this, it is a bit abrasive or ruff might be a better word.

Good luck - just keep shooting....

Old 06-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

You might want to check this out:

http://hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html

Mag-Spark The most innovative improvement to muzzle loading since the rifled barrel. It fits your rifle in the place of the percussion nipple and uses inexpensive, readily available SHOTSHELL PRIMERS for instant ignition of all powders and propellants. No more misfires, slowfires or dangerous hangfires. Works in any weather, with any propellant. Shotshell primers provide abundant fire to burn the propellant charge-completely. EVERY TIME!! This makes for consistent velocities, which makes for tighter groups (Also reduces flinching). Another important feature of the shotshell primer is that it is made with a rim , or flange, making it impossible to be put in upside down or sideways. This is not tru with rifle or pistol primers. If you have ever tried to use them, you already know this. Moreover, rifle and pistil primers stick when fired. Have you ever tried to get one out in time for another shot? Forget it!!. You CAN remove the shotshell primer from the MAG-SPAR, because of the rim feature.
Made of stainless steel, the MAG-SPARK features a hardened firing pin, and is intended to last for a lifetime of normal use. Nothing, not even an expensive in-line rifle can deliver the reliability of a MAG-SPARK equipped rifle. It is FULLY GUARANTEED, INEXPENSIVE, EASY TO INSTALL, LOOKS GOOD ~ AND IT WORKS.

MAG-SPARK $15.00
Spare cap $7.50
Mag-Spark and Spare Cap Combo $22.50

When I get my sidelock, this is all I'm gonna use with it

Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

You might want to check this out:

http://hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html

Mag-Spark The most innovative improvement to muzzle loading since the rifled barrel. It fits your rifle in the place of the percussion nipple and uses inexpensive, readily available SHOTSHELL PRIMERS for instant ignition of all powders and propellants. No more misfires, slowfires or dangerous hangfires. Works in any weather, with any propellant. Shotshell primers provide abundant fire to burn the propellant charge-completely. EVERY TIME!! This makes for consistent velocities, which makes for tighter groups (Also reduces flinching). Another important feature of the shotshell primer is that it is made with a rim , or flange, making it impossible to be put in upside down or sideways. This is not tru with rifle or pistol primers. If you have ever tried to use them, you already know this. Moreover, rifle and pistil primers stick when fired. Have you ever tried to get one out in time for another shot? Forget it!!. You CAN remove the shotshell primer from the MAG-SPAR, because of the rim feature.
Made of stainless steel, the MAG-SPARK features a hardened firing pin, and is intended to last for a lifetime of normal use. Nothing, not even an expensive in-line rifle can deliver the reliability of a MAG-SPARK equipped rifle. It is FULLY GUARANTEED, INEXPENSIVE, EASY TO INSTALL, LOOKS GOOD ~ AND IT WORKS.

MAG-SPARK $15.00
Spare cap $7.50
Mag-Spark and Spare Cap Combo $22.50

When I get my sidelock, this is all I'm gonna use with it
I guess these would be considered legal in states that have "only exposed hammers---percussion and FL really" laws, or does the rule say "only exposed hammers with factory iginition systems? I think Idaho has this law, right SabotLoader? Neat idea, Lane.
In Christ,
Chap Gleason

Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap

Even when we could use inlines, Idaho regulations said no 209's. same for Oregon& Washington...

Looka like it could be a good idea for those states that allow 209's, but it seems that it would be fairly slow re-priming...

No matter, If I do my part I do not have the problem anyway, but for some it could be a real +

Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I think his problem was the T/C #13 and the standard caps. I still have standard CCI #11 and I get a misfire on them every once in a while. Normally a second or third cap will pop it off. But I really have no faith in them for hunting. When I shoot the RWS or the CCI MAGNUM caps, there is no problem with ignition. No matter what powder I am shooting. Other then APP.

And T/C #13 while I am a T/C fan of their rifles, that white water garbage they bottle is just that... garbage. I have had terrible luck swabbing with it. I use it only for cleaning and when I run out of it, I guarantee I am not running out to the store for more of it. It came with a rifle I bought. In fact T/C #13 Bore Swab is what made me look for something that would displace water, like the alcohol and windshield washer mix. In traditionals, I will often times swab with straight 91% isopropyl alcohol, then a dry patch or two. If you still have doubts, pop a cap before loading and it will burn it out of the barrel.

I am sure if he tries some of these suggestions, that barrel will come around. Like Sabotloader said, I have four or five of them and I shoot sub powders out of them when ever I get the urge without problems. The only sub powder that gave me fits for ignition was Amercian Pioneer Powder. Out of my inlines ifs fine, in my traditionals, I will stick with Goex.

Quick Reply: Green mt. barrel hang fires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.