Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

is this true?

Old 12-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default is this true?

i told my friend i wanted to get a muzzle loader and asked him what i needed because he shot them before..and he told me what to do and told me to measuer out 100grs of powder..i said ok but i will use 3 50gr pyrodex pellets and hes like thats a waste of money only like 80grs of powder burns at the most the rest just makes a big flash and is wasted..is this true? or is he full of crap? i did some reading and a page and it said something about packing the bullet onto the powder pretty hard..pyrodex said atleast 40lbs of pressure is needed to pack it fully...if you pack it all the powder will be burnt and used right?? is 150grs of powder good for a deer load in a flintlock(new one) shooting sabots? thanx........

Old 12-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-23-2002, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is this true?

I know one thing, 150 gns will make one heck of a bruise! I'll stick with 80gn loose powder...

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 12-23-2002, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a .50, 80 to 100 grains of powder is about all that will be usefully consumed behind a round ball. (This depends, to some extent, on how long your barrel is.) However, if firing a heavy conical, or perhaps a sabotted bullet, more powder will, up to a point, produce more velocity. Some of the fast-twist inlines are designed to be used with up to 150 grains. But, as Coondog says, the only way you will know if this is workingin your particular rifle is by shooting it with a chronograph!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting a flintlock, it probably doesn't have a scope, so I am guessing that you won't be shooting over 75 yards or so.
90 grains should be enough to take any deer, and it's a nice shooting load. Will your flintlock ignite pyrodex pellets ok?
Don't believe everything your read.

Old 12-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

i hate when that kids right! lol...o well atleast i dont goto the range and hurt myself...my gun..and waste money on powder...and i was looking at the TC firestorm and it says its designed for pyrodex pellets..the gun will be open sites and shot will be probally under 50 most of the time...you think if thats the gun i got i should use say 100 grs of pyrodex pellets and see how it shoots? maybe even a 50 and a 30gr pellet for 80grs? i really dont know much about muzzleloading except what im lead to believe by the companies....

Old 12-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Spike

mauser, sounds to me like instead of buying a box of 50 gr. and a box of 30gr. and a can of 4ffff for flash powder. you could achieve the same results with one can of 2ff or 3fff black powder and a can of 4ffff. save ya some money and get more shots too. good luck
Old 12-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

the thing is i dont know jack about measuring out powder or anything like that...is it hard?? what do i need to do it?? can i put the loose powder in them neat speed loaders that hold the powder and projectile so im not fumbling around in the dark trying to load my rifle?? i thought the pellets were nice because i wouldnt have to meauser in the field..load a few speed loaders at home the night before and head out...but if i can use loose powder in a speed loader i might..i hear it burns better in flintlocks even the onese desingned for the pellets like the firestorm i was looking at...

Old 12-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Spike

On page 14, paragraph 5 in the Thompson Center Blackpowder Muzzleloading Firearms book it says: "Pyrodex does not ignite as easily as black powder and is not recommended for use in flint lock firearms. Flintlocks require strong, positive ignition and should be charged and primed with black powder of the appropriate granulation only."

Quick Reply: is this true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.