HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   How did they do it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/192495-how-did-they-do.html)

ejpaul1 05-25-2007 09:50 PM

How did they do it?

I have been centerfire rifle hunting for three years now (I started only three years ago) and have been fairly successful. I decided to hunt with a ML this coming season and have been practicing with my newly aquired inline. I really aint as good of a shot as I though before when I used a scope and centerfire. Today I was doing good to keep three in five inches at 60 yards. I never have these issue with my 06 or magnum. How did the hunters of old shoot accuratly and at long distances with flintlock ML's with open sites? I need to practice. EJ

dmurphy317 05-25-2007 10:00 PM

RE: How did they do it?

Your last line nails it, practice. Getting to know your rifle and the sighting system is the key to accuracy along with consistency in all aspects of its use. One thing you may want to consider though is a peep sight. A peep gives you a sense of a scope (round sight picture) while maintaining the non magnified simplicity of an iron sight. Many old Sharps, etc. had long range peep style sights available.

frontier gander 05-25-2007 10:03 PM

yeah, lots of practice and lots of shooting. Have to experiment with more/less powder, different powder charges and such. Even the way you hold the rifle in your hands.

cayugad 05-25-2007 10:38 PM

work up the best most accurate load for your rifle you can develope. After that it is a matter of practice and and learning what the rifle will do.

whitetaildreamer 05-26-2007 12:29 PM

Like all have stated, lots of practice. I cast my ownmilli-balls so my expense is just powder and primers so I shoot lots (don't know why but love the smell of pyrodex). When comparing shooting my ML to my rifles, there is that split second between primer and charge going off. It was more when I was using my sidelock compared to my inline but it is still there. Really concentrate holding position after the trigger is squeezed.

frontier gander 05-26-2007 12:46 PM

That used to happen to me when i was trying out remington kleanbore primers. You'd hear the cap and see the sparks and then the rifle would go off. Just a split second.

HEAD0001 05-26-2007 02:48 PM

IMO the best way to shoot better is simple. Buy a lever action 22 LR. Put an adjustable rear peep on the rifle. Then Shoot, Shoot, Shoot. Practice is the key. Any 22LR will do. I just find the lever to be more fun. Tom.

RobertSubnet 05-26-2007 03:29 PM

EJPaul:

I have to agree with the others...practice. Keep records, make changes one at a timeand compare results

I have found that with my flinters sights, I shoot high and right, but that is using a bench. Standing of course changes all of that.

Thankfully the practice is fun!

Best of luck,
~Robert

Redclub 05-27-2007 06:52 AM

Seeing you are from CO. you have to use conicals and not all in-lines can shoot them. You have to keep shooting until you find the right combo.
That might not be possible with a rifle designed for sabots.
RC

frontier gander 05-27-2007 12:55 PM

Which rifle were you shooting?