Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How did they do it? >

How did they do it?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How did they do it?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How did they do it?

I was shooting the traditions yukon. I dont think it is the gun, but rather the lousy shooter operating the gun. I dont like admiting that, but the truth hurts! The powerbelts seemed to act the most uniform. Those great plains conicals didnt seem to shoot as well 2 weeks ago. EJ
Old 05-31-2007, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

One thing you may want to consider though is a peep sight. A peep gives you a sense of a scope (round sight picture) while maintaining the non magnified simplicity of an iron sight. Many old Sharps, etc. had long range peep style sights available.
Seen a few peep sights mounted to the tang that would do the trick. The Soule sights one sees on Sharps can run into mega $$$ real quick. Seem to recall that a Montana Vintage sights run anywhere from $300-500 for the tang portion only.

http://www.montanavintagearms.com

iffen yer that interested in somthing good out to around 1500 yds.

Its still possible to pick up a tang mount "hunting" peep after the old Marbles-Williams design from Brownells for a whole lot less, like maybe $175+.

Even with that it'll still take a fair bit of practice...

Keep yer powder dry,
D.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Lyman 57GPR on my Lyman and so far it is very accurate. The first day out with it I shot a 3 shot group at 75 yards that measured .28 inches center to center using 460NE's and 70gr of 777 3F. I haven't had a chance to shoot it in the last 2 months due to being out of town.

The 57 is a nice sight but not much use at the ranges your mentioning above. It works well for shots out to 200 or so yards depending on the load you use. New they cost well under $100 so they are much more afordable than what you were quoting.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

When your life depended on your shooting skills you knew your riflebetter than you knew your woman!