Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Really to Warm - But I couldn't help it... >

Really to Warm - But I couldn't help it...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Really to Warm - But I couldn't help it...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Really to Warm - But I couldn't help it...

Well, I got a day off so I grabbed 3 rifles and a pistol and headed to the hills.

My number one priorty was to shoot this new (to me) 50 cal Renegade barrel I just got. It is not a Douglas barrel it is a newer TC barrel. I really wanted it to shoot as well as the two Douglas barrels that I have. "It Did" - I had bore sighted it here at the house, so I set a target @ 25 took 3 shots. The groups were a bit high and an equal bit right... I adjusted what I thought might be about right and moved the target to 50. Still an inch right and 3" high... adjust the fiber optics again (by guess or by golly) shot again still right but pretty close... and 3 inches high did not seem that bad so - out to 100 went the clay pigeons - tired of shooting paper. Put 5 birds out and on the first shot @ 100 I broke a bird. I felt good and the gun "I thought" was ready to go - next two shots did not touch a bird - so collect the target and move it to 100. 2 shots 4" high 2" right... couldn't beleive I was that high... Once again adjusted the sights got dead red left and right and about 3" high at 100... that was close enough for me back to the birds - no problem after that.... EXCEPT.... It was hot in the rock pit. i pronounce it a great barrel and I have no further need of Renegade barrels...

Because of the heat I completed a test I was not planning on testing.... Sitting on the tail gate with the box lids open was a box of Dan's 460 Bull Shops and a box of Dave's 460 No Excuses. Take it from me the No-Excuses bullet lube melts easier in the sun than Dan's. I had to use tweezers to pick-up the No-Excuses the lube was really loose and runny. The Bull Shops hung right in there and they were not near as gooey... It really was to hot to shoot. Because of the heat I am sure that the POI will change when it cools off....

Gotta go clean the Renegade now....
Old 05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Really to Warm - But I couldn't help it...

Good shooting there.I noticed that about Dan's lube as well. It seems pretty solid in all temperatures. Them renegades are a favorite rifle of mine. I think they are the one of the most under estimated rifles out there. I have never had a Renegade fail me. They shoot day in day out. Are easy to clean IMO. And are built nice and solid. And it is never to hot to shoot. To windy, mmm maybe. To hot, well sweat gets in your eyes and just gives you an additional reason for the miss.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 AM

Sabotloader, good to see you out shooting. Thought maybe since you changed age, you had to slow down a bit. When you talk about POA changing when the temps drop, will they typically go higher in lower temps? Does that depend on the gun?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM

The last time i was at the NRA shooting the x150, i had to finally slow down and let the barrel cool down. Im a fast reloader and tend to heat the barrel up quickly. I'd notice the groups would start to open a little and then the next shot would be thrown off. Once i let the barrel cool and took my time after that, not a problem.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

When you talk about POA changing when the temps drop, will they typically go higher in lower temps?
That is really hard to say - heat expands everything.... the barrelpressures will be somewhat different therefor possibly changing POI, the change in pressures exerted by the stock on the barreled action will change... etc. for the most part I have found my POI low in the winter after sighting in - in the summer...

good to see you out shooting. Thought maybe since you changed age, you had to slow down a bit.
Naw, not because of age but because the Forest Service had my come back to work part-time - so I end up working 3 days a week, unless I am working with a contractor then things get really messed up...

The only thing my advanced age has done for me is now it takes me longer to get in trouble.... still get in trouble mind ya but it occurs a little slower...

Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 PM

I've witnessed it, it still only takes you about 1/2 second to get in trouble!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

So, did either of you two (SL/CD) get your trucks washed yet??
Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 PM

I don't think so. Waiting to shoot against SL, so he can do my Suburban.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:29 PM

Dont make him wash your surburban. Make him fill its fuel tank!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM

FG, He is so cheap, I'd be lucky ifhe bought me something off the McDonald's dollar menu.

Quick Reply: Really to Warm - But I couldn't help it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.