Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My 1st muzzeloader >

My 1st muzzeloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 1st muzzeloader

Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Default RE: My 1st muzzeloader

You know, I'd maybe look at the traditional rifles. Inlines get a lot of attention for being "easier" to load and clean, but there really isnt that much of an advantage. When i bought my inline, it was awesome, but lately ive started buying traditional and have felt a lot better and more part of the muzzleloading act. Take your time and shop. When i hunted with my flintlock lastyear, i felt so much more involved with the country i was hunting. I always noticed myself using cover, being quieter and when i saw deer, i slowed down and worked into range a lot slower. With my inlines i know whatever is within 150 yards its going down. Just something to think of before you buy.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rookie Bowhunter

I hunt in northern California, and I'm interested in the new inline systems...in CA during the muzzeloading only seasson I cannot use scopes, only open or peep sights...other than that I did not see other restrictions...I wish I could spend $500 or less in the rifle only so I can buy all the other stuff needed...

I also would like to stick to the American made...

thank you again!
For $500 or less, a TC Omega or a Knight such as the KnightRolling block, which was just evaluated in the current issue of NRA American Hunter. Also gun evaluationshere:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

There is also a selection on buying inline ML.

For bullets that are not lead Knight sells a Ultimate Slam 285g made by Barnes. Any of the Barnes bullets are good, read the articles in the above link on Bullets. For a good peep sight the RMC Sports Vpeep is good for far sighted people i.e. most over 40 years of age.
Chap Gleason

Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Thank you all for all the great advise! You're right, I need to take my time and research much more...is just that some times you just want to try new things like...right now! But you guys are right, I should not rush...
Regarding the lead bullets in CA...you are required to remove the lead bullets from your kill as well as the tissue impacted...it's a pain, but this is just required if you're in Condor range...now for waterfowl...you just cannot use lead...

I kind of like the TC Triumph...looks so pretty!! and the Remington Genessis seems to have nice features...but since I can only use open.peep sights I might just look into a more tradicional style...

ohh! And yes I still use my 1st bow!...but not for long!! [8D]
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Knight also came out with a couple new models which I think deserve a look as well. Especially the rolling block they have now. I really like that. As for the Remington Genesis, Underclocked has one that he tuned all up and I think he was wanting to sell it. You might want to check with him.

As for the traditional rifles, too many people think only inline rifles. Like CA, Wisconisn is not allowed any magnification scope, so you are limited to your eye sight and your projectile. While I own a lot of inlines and some real fine ones... I shot my deer last year with a .54 caliber flintlock.

Traditional rifles can also be purchased to do specific things. For instance, buy a new or used T/C Renegade or a .54 caliber T/C Hawkins, and Green Mountain barrel company sells drop in barrels that can let you do about anything you want. They come in calibers from .32 caliber for small game to .62 caliber for shotgun. They have fast twist 1-28 for sabots and conicals, they have 1-70 for shooting roundball only with extreme accuracy, and they have smoothbore barrels for loading a 343 gr roundball if you want some real power and can get close, or load shot and hunt turkey, rabbits, what ever. Its a 20 gauge shotgun basically.

Lyman is another company as is Cabela's. They make carbines with fast twist, they make long rifles with 1-32 for shooting conicals, they make 1-60 for the person that wants to hunt with a roundball...My favorite is a Lyman Trade rifle in .54 caliber with a 1-48 twist. It shoots roundball excellent and conicals. There are lots of options. Also anyone that tells you a traditional is not weather proof, needs to study them more. Two years ago, hunting with a traditional rifle, I dropped it (actually myself but we will not go there)in the creek. It still fired when I tested it. Its all how you learn to load them and care for them.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Rookie Bowhunter

If you were to consider a NEF - do a lot of homework. While some people love them there are also a lot of people that have really been disappointed with them also.

While older Knight's and most TC's are fine products, I certainly do not put the NEF in that class. Now that is just me so check around. It would be my opinion the upper class rifles in the BPI line would serve you better than a NEF.

I certainly don't put the NEF in the same category as the Knight or TCs but I like the guns for the price they cost.

TC's top of the line, with Knight close behind. NEF seems to be in the middle of the pack(in my opinion).
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM

It would be my opinion the upper class rifles in the BPI line would serve you better than a NEF.

That's definetely disputable.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Wow! so many options!! I like that T/C with Green mountain barrels seems like you can to so much with it...I'm still learning all those twist rates, powders, balls, conicals, sabots...etc, etc...it can be overwelming for the new comer[]...but at the same time all is very interesting...can any of you recommend a good book that can walk me through it?

Thank you again for all your help!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

It would be my opinion the upper class rifles in the BPI line would serve you better than a NEF.

That's definetely disputable.
Not really outdoorslover. Sabotloader doesnt really speak up much about BPI that often and when he does, you better take his word for it. He also did say "Upper" class BPI, Kodiak,pro,winchester line, Optima- optima pro exe.
The nef IMO drops down into the cva wolf class. Cheaper rifles but good dependable rifles.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM

I guess I'll throw in my amateur opinion. I do believe California does not permit scopes during the muzzleloader seasons. So your stuck with peeps or iron sights. That'll limit your effective range. What's the point in purchasing an inline "sabot" gun like an Omega? I don't see the value of lighter bullets in close range (100yd in) situations. Why not get something that'll accurately chuck bigger chunks of lead (or powerbelts) like a sidelock or a White inline? White as a company no longer exists. However, I've never heard anyone call a White rifle a POC. My sidelock conical shooter set me back an entire $175 for the gun. Just food for thought.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rookie Bowhunter

Wow! so many options!! I like that T/C with Green mountain barrels seems like you can to so much with it...I'm still learning all those twist rates, powders, balls, conicals, sabots...etc, etc...it can be overwelming for the new comer[]...but at the same time all is very interesting...can any of you recommend a good book that can walk me through it?

Thank you again for all your help!
One of the best books on MLing is this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873419510/qid=1114882877/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-8867395-7390420?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

If you don't want to pay anything read all the content on this web site:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

especially the getting started stuff. MLing is about a complex as compound bow hunting, with arrow type, arrow weight, broadhead type and weigth, release type, rest type and bow type. It takes a while to get the proper gear and types of stuff. Many folks on this forum don't shoot CF (Center Fires) any more, tend to only shoot MLers, many traditional such as caplock and FlintLock. All are fun and have their challenges, accuracy of a good rifle is NOT one of them though. It will cost you about $100 in gear, cleaning rod, cleaning supplies, bullets, powder, speed loaders, gear box, yata yata. It takes a while to acquire good gear once you get a gun.
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: My 1st muzzeloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.