Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which Flintlock Do I Purchase???  Help! >

Which Flintlock Do I Purchase??? Help!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Flintlock Do I Purchase??? Help!

Old 12-16-2002, 11:59 PM
Spike

Default Which Flintlock Do I Purchase??? Help!

Hello everyone this is Mark from PA.

I used a New England Firearms muzzleloader with Pyrodex pellets and Powerbelt bullets here in PA for the first time in October and loved it, now I would like to buy another muzzleloader for the late flintlock season. There seems to be a lot of different guns out there. I thought I knew what I wanted a new "Traditions Pa Pellet Flintlock" with removeable breach plug. They claim in their ad the pellets are "Ignited from the rear for reliable consistant firing"

The store I went to had a couple of these guns but I was told by the sales clerk the pellets do not work well. I'm not sure if the advice I was given was sound or not and I'm not sure what to buy now. I'm looking for a gun that will give me consistant firing as I can get (Yes I plan on following the advice on here pertaining to keeping everything dry and following proper black powder procedures) and ease of cleaning and if possible able to use pyrodex pellets and some type of bullets.

All advice is greatly appreciated. I'm new to using blackpowder weapons and want to learn as much as I can and start off on the right foot.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2002, 05:31 AM

Default RE: Which Flintlock Do I Purchase??? Help!

hey,
I have never had much luck with pellets either, sorry to say.
Traditions muzzleloaders are good guns, but are mass produced, and from my experience, have problems, like the frizzen doesn't come down tightly on the flash pan and when you turn your muzzleloader all your poweder falls out. Also barrel inconsistencies, like in one gun a .50 cal roundball might easily slide down while another gun that is the same model, the ball will not even go halfway.
I know personally of two people that have traditions guns that have had balls get stuck in their barrel.
This maybe a small portion, overall the guns may be good, but from what i have seen and heard around here, they are not the best choice.
If you have the money, i would consider, a thompson center hawken or renegade, a lyman great plains rifle, CVA rifles, etc. They are all good names with a solid backing behind them.
Personally i shoot a thompson center .50 cal renegade which is like a hawken, except there is no brass, it is a no frills workhorse muzzleloader.
if you have any questions feel free to email me at
[email protected]
good luck :-)

Jennings Buckmaster Bow
.50 Cal Thompson Center Renegade
Old 12-17-2002, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unfortunately, Pyrodex pellets don't seem to work too well in those rifles supposedly made to use them. They don't work AT ALL in any of the other flintlocks. I suggest you stick to using loose plain black powder in your flintlocks!! The Lyman Great Plains is a good flintlock!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman Great Plains flintlock, and you need to use real black powder with them.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get the Lyman for around $300. Look on Gunbroker.com. You will have to use real black powder. Try it. You might like it.

Old 12-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Spike

Thanks a million guys!

Be nice to see some more comments here before I run out and get my gun. Hate to say it but looks like there is a consensus here already....... LOL
Old 12-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a T/C Pa. Hunter Carbine .50cal and haven't had any problems at all with it.It has a 1-66 twist so it's strictly patch and ball.Nice shooting little gun and I'm really looking forward to next week hunting with it.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:50 AM
Spike

Another good choice is Cabelas Blue ridge, I have a 50cal. and the lock is fast and reliable, almost like shooting perc. except for the flash. Black powder is the only way to go with flintlocks.