HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Sighting in the new Flintlock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/189119-sighting-new-flintlock.html)

cayugad 04-21-2007 12:50 PM

Sighting in the new Flintlock

I decided to sight in the new Tradition's .50 caliber Hawkin Woodsman model Flintlock today. I was shooting 80 grains of Goex 2f, Buffalo bullets, and using moose milk pillow tick patch. Also Goex 4f as prime.

It was then I discovered my disadvantage of my new range. Anything closer then 50 yards will have to be done off shooting sticks unless I build more tables around the woods. No problem though, I took the shooting sticks with me and a chair.

First shot on the clean barrel kind of surprised me, but I was holding a strange sight pattern using a full bull hold since I had no idea how this rifle had been sighted in. I discovered it shot very low.

So I cranked the rear sight up to what I thought would be about right. And fired a few more. Still low and to the right. So I adjusted the windage and brought the group over a little. I wanted to hold with a full open bull, so I cranked the rear sight up just a click or two, and it shot just above the other group.

Another minor adjustment and I finally had it hitting the bulls eye where I wanted. I did throw one real bad. That rifle just went off before I was ready in the sticks. Nice clean trigger on the rifle, but you have to be careful with it.

Then to prove to myself that I had the rifle sighted in, I had a crushed Diet Pepsi can out there, so I laid that on its side and took three shots at it. It went flying all three times.

I am still on the same flint as yesterday. I have no idea of the number of shots I have taken off this flint but I only had one POOF! that did not go off. The pan fired fine mind you, so I poked the vent hole and the next pan fire shot it off just fine. Nice fast ignition also.

This is a real sweet little rifle. Easy to carry and fast to shoulder. I think I am going to like this one a lot.

WinchesterX150 04-21-2007 01:23 PM

RE: Sighting in the new Flintlock

great shooting, good to see it shoots to good. How do you prime the pan?

cayugad 04-21-2007 01:28 PM

Just like you said.. full. My little pan primer throws 3 grains and that fills that shallow pan.

HuntAway 04-21-2007 04:47 PM

cayugad, When you say you want to sight with a full open bull are you referring to a 6 o'clock hold?
Nice shooting by the way.:D

cayugad 04-21-2007 05:23 PM

Yes a six o'clock hold. I used to shoot a modified 6 o'clock and I ended up having problems judging longer distances. SoI went to a full 6 o'clock hold. The projectile should hit if you think of the number 8 with the lower circle being the front bead, and the upper being the point of contact to the target.

HuntAway 04-21-2007 05:37 PM

Gotcha.;)

gleason.chapman 04-21-2007 06:16 PM

Boy that is nice shooting with a FL CAyugad. Boy that puppy groups and groups well. Chap Gleason

HuntAway 04-21-2007 06:56 PM

sure would let a bunch of air out wouldn't it.:D

wabi 04-22-2007 07:58 AM

Good shooting!
Shame I've got an ongoing grudge against Traditions. Had an inline Traditions shotgun that came with an owner's manual that said to use aftermarket chokes if you needed additional tubes. Used one, the barrel was damaged, and Traditions would not warranty the barrel! No more Traditions guns for me!!!!!!!!

lonewolf5348 04-22-2007 08:48 AM

Dave: try coneing the vent liner to improve iginition