Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hoppes no 9 solvent >

Hoppes no 9 solvent

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hoppes no 9 solvent

Old 04-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Hoppes no 9 solvent

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

I am new to blackpowder shooting/hunting and I didnt know which one to get to clean and lube. I have a traditions yukon and I bought this hoppes stuff. It says it is just dandy, but does anyone know about it? My pal uses wonderlube for his 1:66 ML and he loves it. SHould I use this? EJ
Hoppes No9 PLUS BP Solvent & Patch Lube is without question one of the best couple ofcommercial patch lube& cleaning solvents on the market.
(Not the regular Hoppes No9 gun cleaning solution that's been around for 50+ years)

Because "PLUS" is a liquid I personally use it every weekend as a patch lube during the cold winter months when it's dry with low humidity...lets me shoot 50 shot range sessions without wiping between shots...Natural Lube isn't wet enough to do that in very dry conditions...an outstandingpatch lube.

In the spring/summer when humidity is higher, I just use TC Natural Lube in my patches. (same product as Oxyoke wonder lube, both made by Oxyoke)

Natural Lube 1000 is all I've used forhunting over the past16+ years as I'm a little leery of having any kind of liquid patch lube sitting on my powder for several hours although it's probably fine...I just don't want to be the one to find out.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regular Hoppes # 9 has been around a lot longer than 50 years. I'm 60 and remember the smell of dad cleaning his shot gun with the stuff before I ever started school.

Al
Old 04-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I use petrolum based products all the time to clean my rifles, without problems. The trick is to make sure you get the stuff out of the barrel before you load the first time. This is done with a simple patch dipped in Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol that you buy at any Wal Mart. Swab the barrel with it, a couple dry patches and you're good to go.

As for the Hoppies.. go ahead and use it to clean your rifle. There are better cleaners out there IMO but it will work just fine. As for the Wonder lube, that is a whole different set of considerations. Personally I do not use Wonder Lube, Bore Butter T/C 1000 what ever you want to call it... other then to lube a conical now and then.

Another simple cleaner for your rifle is a 50/50 mix of Windshield Washer Fluid and isopropyl alcohol. You can swab the barrel with the stuff between shots, you can use it to remove fowling when you clean. And it will help dry the barrel between shots. Swab the barrel with short strokes between shots, then a couple dry patches and you can load again and get some great accuracy.

As for your friends rifle with the 1-66 twist, they are shooting roundball most likely. That is why they are using wonder lube. You with a 1-28 twist should concentrate using powerbelts, saber tooth conicals, maxi ball, and sabots of all different weights and shapes. A load you might want to try is 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 gr Shockwave. It should be a good load, but then all rifles are different so you never really are sure.
Will the 50/50 mix do well for the initail cleaning of an inline? I was just lucky enough to win a Remington Genisis. through a local raffle.I've been reading up on the posts here and would likesome direction on what to cleanitwith for the firts time.

By the way thanks to all that post on this forum...tons of good info.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love Hoppes 9 Plus. It is a great cleaner and removes rust great. I still have yet to use it as a patch lube.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I use the clear windex. Not sure what the colored windex has in it but the clear has vinegar. I use it in between shots and also after the hot water cleaning at home."

i also use itbetween shots. imix the clear Windex half and half with water-probably no need to do that. Here we use it to clean the bore,receiver and breech plug. We just spray it on the breech plug and then brush the crud off with an old toothbrush. Takes about two minutes to clean the plug with no soaking. After the bore is clean i wet a patch with MILITEC and run it through the bore. Takes aboutten minutes to completely clean and oil my Encore. Little longer for the CVAs.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the 50/50 mix for a while now and it has been great (thanks Cayugad!!).

In order to have pre-moistened patches on hand, I like to do the following: I use a small round tupperware container large enough to hold 2 1/4" patches. I put those in there and just enough 50/50 to moisten the patcheswith a little left over to cover evaporation. The leak proof container keeps the stuff from leaking and evaporating. And it makes quick cleaning at the range very easy. Actually it makes cleaning at home easy to!

~Robert

Old 04-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

aahhh!!!!!! the banana smell . memories in a bottle.