Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 switching powders.... >

switching powders....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

switching powders....

Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Default switching powders....

As you know, I shoot Pyrodex and American Pioneer exclusively. Coming from you guys(the experts), do you see any reason to try out Triple Seven or use that instead? Would there be any benefits to using that?

Thanks for opinions.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: switching powders....

Really only your rifle can answer that. Some rifles like T-7 some hate it. Some rifles get little or no crud ring some get a hard crud ring so bad they can hardly load the second shot. Most of my inline rifles like T-7. It shoots sabots and conicals well. It is easy to clean. Very powerful. And makes a nice smoke cloud without the stink. It also washes out with simple water.

It has been know to cause serious crud built up. So use a witness mark when you load. If shooting sabots, swab often, and keep an eye on your breech plug. If you shoot it in a cap lock with patch and ball, check you patch. It like to burn them up.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 PM

Is it really easier to clean than Pyrodex?

I don't have any problems with loading right now and I don't like swabbing often so maybe it's not a good idea to switch to T 7.

I may give it a try sometime just for the hell of it. Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

I your Omega, using T7 will up your performance a bunch. It is far better than APP or Pyro if you are looking for a performance load.

I really think you would like it... but there are some drawbacks in some guns... the "crud ring" being the most feared but if you get it and learn how to handle it is not a problem. I really do not get a "crud ring" in my Omega, but I do patch after every shot, not that I need to, I think I can get 4/5 shots off without patching if I needed to. But I patch for consistent accuracy.

I really think a lot of the "crud ring" problems can be solved with your barrel cleaning and conditioning....

Old 04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Dominant Buck

yes, triple se7en is very easy to clean up. Also it is a lot less corrosive then Pyrodex. You are not on such a tight "clean me" time frame. It never hurt to experiment. Good idea.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Pyrodex i find to be very easy to clean up. I just started using a bathtub with normal hot water and some soap and it cleans out easily. I prefer using the hot water now. Esp with my sidelock.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

X150

T7 is not near as messy and regular water and soap melts it.... the biggest mess you get with T7 isfrom the primers...
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 PM

ah the blowback, that will be a really great test on my x150. im interested to see how the breech area looks after 3 shots. And son of a gun i was in town and didnt pick up any cci's!

Gave my dad an early fathers day gift and had a limbsaver recoil pad put on his cabelas sporterized hawken. Had to go with a slip over due to the dumb flat bottom they put on the stock. He should be happy with it though.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

As you know, I shoot Pyrodex and American Pioneer exclusively. Coming from you guys(the experts), do you see any reason to try out Triple Seven or use that instead? Would there be any benefits to using that?

Thanks for opinions.
I find APP hard to find in my area. 777 everybody handles, so I buy that and Black powder, which I shoot in FL. 777 does do a bad crud ring in my Omega, the APP doesn't. If you find the APP shoots well and you can get it without paying $20 extra for the shipping fee, I would stay with that, since it doen't leave a crud ring and you get very little stuff in the barrel when you field clean it. I have heard that APP is more prone to moisture build up, but that has never happened to me. Jim Shockey shoots it and put his name on it, so it can't be that bad. I think it is a little over priced also. That is my opinion. Chap Gleason
Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 PM

I can find any powder very easily in my area. I live close to a Cabelas and a lot of stores that carry it all. The only reason I would switch to Triple 7 is for a performance boost or ease of cleaning, which it sounds like it could do. APP is less expensive than Triple 7 and Pyrodex is cheapest around here.

So, I will just have to wait for a paycheck and try some out. If it performs better, I'll stick to it. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know when I give it a go.

Quick Reply: switching powders....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.