Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What the heck!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What the heck!

If the conical is flat bottom, the rule is put a wad. Although it does not hurt to try them both ways. For instance, I shoot 70 gr of T-7 3f all the time in the White with a conical and no wad.
My hunting load last season was a 410 gr. great plains hollow based conical and 90 gr. of 2f 777. It turned out to be a very accurate and consistant load. Off sand bags, groups averaged 1.75" with several groups running 1.5" at 100 yards out of my inline. It did quite a number on a doe and a hog last season.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

If the conical is flat bottom, the rule is put a wad. Although it does not hurt to try them both ways. For instance, I shoot 70 gr of T-7 3f all the time in the White with a conical and no wad.
My hunting load last season was a 410 gr. great plains hollow based conical and 90 gr. of 2f 777. It turned out to be a very accurate and consistant load. Off sand bags, groups averaged 1.75" with several groups running 1.5" at 100 yards out of my inline. It did quite a number on a doe and a hog last season.
And your shoulder is out of it's cast???

How was the recoil with that load. I guess it would smack the crap out of Anything it hit.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM

You'd be suprised. i just had a limbsaver pad put on and 385 bullet and 70 grains T7, shot it today and recoil was light. Im going to limit my loads at 90 grains of t7 but depending on how that goes, 100 may be top. Good recoil pad on a heavy rifle really tame the powder charges and bullets.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Sorry to alarm all of you guys with tales of my foolish past. When I was young(er), a friend would do that. I never took part in it. He just pulled all the foolish stuff and I watched.

Yes, a couple times he filled things( bottles and stuff) with blackpowder. He would THROW it in the fire. It never did explode which is why I stated that it's hard to make it explode. It must all be about pressure, which is why a tightly sealed bunch of powder behind a bullet can blow up so fast. That's obvious and is why Frontiers powder didn't explode and just fizzed a little. That's just normal.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM

never expected the powder to explode. I did expect it to burn into flame once the lighter flame hit the powder. Take some pyrodex and give it a try and you'll see. Setting off triple 7 took a lot longer and fizzled like smokeless powder. In order to get BP to explode it needs to be ina tight container like a steel case... been there done that.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote] My hunting load last season was a 410 gr. great plains hollow based conical and 90 gr. of 2f 777. It turned out to be a very accurate and consistant load. Off sand bags, groups averaged 1.75" with several groups running 1.5" at 100 yards out of my inline. It did quite a number on a doe and a hog last season.
[/blockquote]

And your shoulder is out of it's cast???

How was the recoil with that load. I guess it would smack the crap out of Anything it hit.
I found it to be very tolerable, but I'm not really recoil sensitive either. Granted, you knew you had fired a rifle but it was no where near painful.
That load produced some fairly impressive results on the deer and thepig.The bullet was aflat point,hollow based conical and it producedhalf dollar size exit wounds on both animals. On the pig,the bullet entered behind the shoulder, angled up through the neck and exited just behind the off side ear. He didn't go very far, to say the least. The doe only went 15 yards with asolid chest hit.