Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex

Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pyrodex

How many of you use pyrodex? It is getting hard to find black powder and I might start shooting this every once in a while to save my black powder. I have a can of Select. Any problems with ignition in traditionals? It seems a lot like real black powder.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Default RE: Pyrodex

i use it all the time. never had any ignition problems with our sidelocks. Get a hot shot nipple that has the little cup egged out at the bottom and you'll be set.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Cap locks, Pyrodex works excellent. Flintlocks are a whole different thing. Pyrodex actually is a great powder. Very good shot to shot consistancy. Good power. A little messy, but if you're used to black powder you will not notice the difference. Shoot the select and I am sure it will do just fine.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I live in utah and the only blackpowder that is available is goex nothing else that I can find even close to my house. I am pretty much limited to pyrodex and tripple 7.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I use isPyrodexor Goex BP in all my muzzleloaders. The only ignition problem I ever had was with a T/C NewEnglander 12 ga barrel. Pyrodex usually had slow ignition with the origional #11 cap ignition. A change to musket caps solved the problem. The .50 cal barrel for the same gun works fine with Pyrodex and #11 caps.
I usually use Goex FFG with the 12 ga. anymore, though.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Pyrodex/American Pioneer is all I've ever used. I've never had any complaint with it and have been very pleased. It's reliable every time.

I see no need to shoot regular powder. This stuff is cheaper and cleaner and just as good. Try it!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM

I can count on one hand how many times I've fired my pretty much new (and first) ML and it's working so far. I'll probably continue to use it as long as it doesn't start crapping out on me.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to order some powder with some friends but I would like to start shooting some Pyrodex since I can find it almost anywhere and it is so popular. You can not beat good old Black Powder but Pyrodex is really close I think. I will have to try it out again and see how my gun likes it.

A lot of people say that it is more corrosive than black powder. Is that true? Will I notice a difference shooting RS or Select vs Goex? Myth #2: Pyrodex is harder to clean. Any of this true? I would like to shoot some RS to. Will I experience these problems with RS? How about Select?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems wrong to me to switch since it isn't REAL BLACK POWDER like listed below all your post. Gonna spoil THE REAL WAY TO HUNT
Is an inline next too.

Al
Old 04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Got That Right ALLEYYOOPER! Next thing ya know our friend Sharp Shooter will be sniffing Triple 7!!!

Quick Reply: Pyrodex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.