Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I guess I went and done it again.. >

I guess I went and done it again..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I guess I went and done it again..

Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Default RE: I guess I went and done it again..

Looks great, double set triggers are always a nice piece to have. Get your butt out there and fix the range so you can shoot it! I know my traditions likehalf apan full and likes the powder close to the touch hole, just something to watch for.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have a pan flask and so we will see what happens.

I also went to town and bought all the buidling material to make the new trap. So my friends are coming over Friday to help build it and lift all the steel into place. Should be an interesting project.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Take some pics of the trap, my brother and i want to make one so we can recover any lead that gets trapped. Lead is getting expensive.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine does not trap lead anymore. The old one did and because of that it blew the old stand apart. And easy lead trap is shoot into a tire filled with sand. The sand will catch the bullets and makes a nice safe back stop. That is until you shoot the tire up so bad that the sand leaks out and then you have a mess. I done that route too. My concern is to stop the lead from going back into my woods and putting holes in all the trees back there. I can't believe how these conicals carry through the woods.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I finished building the new target trap. After knocking down all the trees that were hit by the bu;;ets that blew through the trap, it gave me some firewood and a longer range. The old one was too close anyway, so I moved it back another 35 yards which gives me 118 yards without crawling into the woods like I had to do before.

I had not shot the new rifle. The bench rest was at the 75 yard range. I figured why not. I was not all that worried about how well it grouped, but was interested in how well it functioned.

So out I went and loaded 90 grains of Graf's (Wano) 2f black powder and primed it. First shot was a BIG Time hang fire. It hit about six inches low, but again that did not worry me. So I loaded it up again and laid a roundball right under the bulls eye. I then adjusted my point of aim and shot two more and they were touching just an inch above the bulls eye. I was having fun, so I just kept shooting.

I finally ran out of powder in that horn, so I went in the house and got a pound of Goex 3f. I still loaded 90 grains. It started to spray them all over. Perhaps too hot I thought. So I cut the charge down to 70 grains of 3f and it was still not shooting as tight as I wanted. So I went to 80 grains and then it started to behave again.

Then I started shooting at a 4"x6" piece of pine board. I was happy that I could consistently knock that over. So I took a soda pop can and laid that on the side. That was a little harder to hit.

The ignition time with this rifle is impressive. It seems fast, and does not seem to eat the flints up too fast. My little three gram pan charger fills that rifle's pan but it does not fuse out on me, so I do not care about the extra side flash. Also the frizzen seems to fit nice and tight to the pan so it should be pretty water proof. I only fired about twenty five ball. Maybe tomorrow I will move the station to 25 yards and sight the rifle in.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:35 PM

Sounds like its a great shooting rifle. Plan on doing anything with the rifle or you just going to shoot it how it is?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

just another rifle to shoot when the mood hits..
Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Mood hits often for you doesnt it? lol.

Good luck with the rifle and hope you take some deer down in the following years.