Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New GM .54 barrel arrived............. >

New GM .54 barrel arrived.............

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New GM .54 barrel arrived.............

Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default New GM .54 barrel arrived.............

I ended up getting a .54 GM barrel after all. I decided on the 1-70 twist to start with and will eventually pick up a 1-28 down the road.The Renegade stock didn't require any inletting at all just dropped in.Picked up a new unopened TC .530 ball mold and will now have to play around with patch size.Have the bear baits out since last Sunday so they should be hit in a week or so hopefully.Should I start at 80gr of 2F 777 and work my way up?The barrel has regular sights and not the fiber optic type.Could be old stock.Sure is long compared to the factory unit.............Harold
Old 04-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New GM .54 barrel arrived.............

Let us know how the new barrel shoots,I am thinking on a GM barrel in 54 cal. but looking for a 15/16 across the flats,seem I have an extra lock for a PA HUNTER STOCK which has a 15/16 barrel channel.
The older GM barrel s had stock sight with a front gold bead
Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a great barrel. I know it will be a good shooter. All you need is about 90 gr of powder and a patched roundball. I personally shoot pillow tick with ball out of my Green Mountain Barrel with moosemilk as a lube. Keep us posted about how well the rifle shoots..

Good luck..
Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 PM

My Gm .54 barrel didn't start to group until I had put 17 or 18 shots through it.Now it gets better every time I take it out.I had to use .020 patches,thinner ones did not survive,burned up,and then only with 70 grs. of 777.They burn through with more powder.15 grs. or soof cornmeal on top of the powder will allow you to increase the powder charge.That or them costly felt wads.I use hoppes #9 plus for patch lube.I have shot 50+ times without wiping between shots even with GOEX 2f.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

I went up to Walmart to look for pillow ticking but all they had was thin white stuff that looked more like parachute material.100% cotton but paper thin.Any suggestions? Old denim pant legs etc..?Pre-cut .020 patches ran about $8/100 @ the local gun store so I'd rather buy bulk.........................Harold
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM

I couldn't get walmart pillow ticking to survive the tripout the barrel.Maybe the thread count per inch is to low.It may work with real black powder.777 burns hotter than the real thing.You can try midsouth shooters supply,track of the wolf,the log cabin,or midway.They all have patches cheaper than $8.00 @100.The denim blue jeans pant legs I tried was about .030-.035 thick,tough to load.If you find something in bulk thick enough be sure wash it first to get the sizing out.I think Cabelas has some bulk patch material but I'm not sure.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I went up to Walmart to look for pillow ticking but all they had was thin white stuff that looked more like parachute material.100% cotton but paper thin.Any suggestions? Old denim pant legs etc..?Pre-cut .020 patches ran about $8/100 @ the local gun store so I'd rather buy bulk.........................Harold
Wal Mart with no 100% cotton pillow tick.. WOW!!! Glad I bought four more yards of the stuff. Other then checking another fabric store I don't know what to tell you.

Some people do shoot old blue jeans (make sure the are not stretch fit as those have poly fibers in them), but that was always too tight for me. Flannel is another material they shoot, but that was too thin.

And denis1112 is right. When you shoot Triple Se7en a wad is necessary and the heat from the powder will smoke a patch. I have never had that problem with Goex or Pyrodex RS.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to get the GM 54cal 1-70" twist for my Renegade but I decided to get a new flinter.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

What do you suggest for a wad when usingpatched balls and2F/777? Remember I'm new at this.....Thanx Harold
Old 04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

You can buy wads all over the place. The trouble is some places they are expensive..

You can make your own with a 9/16th hollow hole punch and some 100% construction felt. This is the felt that they pack around windows and door jams to keep the wind out. You just pound out as many as you need. Since felt is 100% wool it really does not burn as you might think. Besides, the point is to protect the patch not the wad. You can spray them with moosemilk if you like. I do that.

There are other places to purchase wads. Track of the Wolf sells them, Circle Fly Wad Company, and others.

http://www.rmcsports.com/rmcsports_cfmfiles/product.cfm?msection=1776

Another trick is to dump your powder down the barrel. Tap the stock on your toe to level the powder load. Then with a small spoon dump approx. 20 gr of Corn Meal down the barrel, then seat your roundball. The corn meal will protect the patch and clean the bore on the way out. The worst thing about it is, its a hassel dealing with the corn meal.

Quick Reply: New GM .54 barrel arrived.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.