Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which CVA?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Default RE: which CVA?

Staghorn is a good rifle. Had one some years ago that cva sent me as an replacement. Great shooting rifle. Kind of wish i would have kept that rifle.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

3 years ago my girlfriend bought me a CVA Kodiak Magnum as she new I was getting interested in trying muzzleloading. Any woman who buys you a gun... she is now my wife. Anyways, the Kodiak has preformed great for shooting deer out to 150 yards. There are more expensive guns out there, but for what I use the gun for and as a "starter" muzzleloader, the Kodiak would get my vote.
Also, my first observations of muzzleloading was that it was bit more time consuming then I first thought (load discovery, cleaning, etc...). I love to shoot and work with the guns, so it was alot of fun. Came across a couple stumbling blocks along the way (i.e. crud ring), but there is a ton of advice on this forum and it greatly helped. I followed the break-in procedures and cleaning advice offered here on this forum and love the sport.Make sure your routine (cleaning, loading, etc...) is consistent from shot to shot. If you get stuck, just ask. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Seriously, between the two, I would choose the Kodiak. I don't like the Wolf's design at all.

I still say get an Omega or NEF Sidekick.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first (not counting old Knight I played around with when young) and current muzzleloader is the Kodiak Pro.
I think the only difference between regular and Pro is the Pro has a 1" longer barrel, but it was on sale
at Graf in camo so got it. I have really enjoyed this gun for the last 2 seasons and have killed the 2 deer I shot at.
With 240 grain XP sabots it is pretty accurate. It is also easy to clean and simple design.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Between the 2 you mention, Kodiak gets my vote. I shot my biggest buck (275lbs, 10 points) last year with it. It dropped him like a ton of brick. Kodiak is a very nice gun, easy to clean and deadly accurate, what more can you ask for.