Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Couple new toys i bought. >

Couple new toys i bought.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Couple new toys i bought.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Couple new toys i bought.

Finally went and had my scope mounted, turned out great and i went with the low rings and removed the rearsight. Scope isnt high quality, something i had on my other rifle but is really clear. While i was there i asked for a price on a pacmeyher recoil pad and he brought me both the pach and a limb saver, limb saver was quite a bit softer so i went with that and he mounted it. scope mounting, laser sighting, recoil pad install were all free of charge. Good thing this rifle has a solid stock because new holes had to be drilled in order to make the recoil pad work. Think im done with upgrades on this rifle for now. Cant wait to shoot it and see how it does with a scope. Darn near bought a rifle rest but he was out.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Couple new toys i bought.

There's almost no room for the hose!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Oh man is that recoil pad fudgin sweet! Just took my first shot with the new scope/recoil pad and love it! Shooting 20 yards and its a good 6" low so i'll be adjusting it to shoot about 2" high @ 20 and scoot back to 50 yards. Man was that smooth!

BTW: 385 grain great plains hunter blew up. I'll post a pic of the bullet once i get back.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks like a real nice set up... I bet it will shoot excellent.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Allright, Im sighted in 4" high @ 50 yards, darn near dead center. I think i'll have to adjust a little more out to 100 yards but for now im done for the day. Try 75 and 100 tomorrow. Once im good for 100, im upping the charge to 100 grains. Shame i cant use it during muzzleloading season but thats ok, rifle season is just right around the corner.

That 385 grain great plains bullet exploded when it hit a 10lb rock i had in the box holding the target down, found the bullet fragments still hot and the rock was in a dozen pieces.

Not bashing but, Randy Wakeman was wrong again. I have low scope mounts and just a tiny film of fouling on the scope. His report was the blowback was horrible and would mess up the finish badly and that a scope protector was needed. And one more thing i found he was wrong about. I can perfectly cap and uncap the rifle by hand with the scope mounted.

Fun day shooting thats for sure! Limbsaver was worth every penny.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch out for that residue on the scope though. It can be deceptive - one day you go to wipe it off and find bare, shiney metal under it. I put a Limbsaver on my G2 quite awhile back and haven't shot it since. Need ta git muh butt n geer.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 PM

Are limbsavers considered traditional?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 PM

traditional for the modern muzzleloader lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Blew the crap out of that rock. But heres whats left of a 385 grain bullet.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 PM

I wanna get one of those Limbsaver pads. they sound great!! it's good to hear that you have it all figured out, FG.

Quick Reply: Couple new toys i bought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.