Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just starting

Old 04-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: just starting

If you don't wish to invest a lot of money at this point and your shots are that close, I would recommend a Knight Wolverine LK-II in .50 caliber with a 1.5-4.5x32mm (with the 4" eye relief) Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope and Warne QD rings. My reasons are simple.

The rifle can be purchased for around $100.00. The scope is another $65.00 and the mounts and bases might run you $50.00 so in total set up, you have $215.00 in the outfit. The money you saved will go towards projectiles and accessories which can all add up. With the Warne rings, you can pull the scope and shoot the excellent tru glo fiber optic sights. Also it makes cleaning the rifle and scope much easier.

The Wolverine is a short, with the 22" barrel (which is more then enough for your kind of shooting), easy to carry, point (hunting from a tree stand? This is a great rifle), and accurate. It has a Green Mountain Barrel, one of the best made barrels out there. Alsothe rifle has aTimney trigger. They shoot sabots very well and with authority, and they also shoot some conicals very well. With the scope set up, you would be all ready for anything close or out to 150 yards. While they are older technology with the hammer striker system, they are easy to clean and maintain. They function in all weather. Even though they shoot a #11 cap, I have yet to have one fail to fire in any kind of weather. The #11 cap also keeps the crud rings and other problems down.

You also have the outstanding service and warranty of the rifle that Knight is famous for. This rifle with 80 grains of powder and a 240 XTP will take out any white tail deer you want to encounter out to a lot further then 75 yards. As for bear you could load up to the 300 gr XTP or even go with a Saber Tooth Conical in 300 grain and still get the job done. If you want to plink and not spend a lot of money, 50 grains of powder and roundball and your all set for squirrel hunting.

They are just a fine rifle. I think way too much is made about this new break open, or drop block design. People see something new on the market and just claim it is better. Well I for one do not buy that line of throught. These older model rifles were all the rage for many years because they worked so well. If a few extra minutes of cleaning time is not important, then you can have yourself a rifle that will last you the rest of your life and hunt anything you want to go after.

If I wanted a starter rifle and did not want to spend a lot of money, this is what I would get myself.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what Dave said about the older style rifles.

I will also comment on Willians GunSight being a class gun shop and the rifles and shot guns they sell used are just as they claim. I have bought several guns from them and on occation go there just to drool on their selections. I even get a vetrans discount there.

I do not recommend going with pellets just because you are just starting out. Many of us started out with loose powder and had no problems. Myself, I have never used a pellet in any of my ML'S. A good powder measure and a pour spout on the can/bottle work just fine and you can carry quick loads while hunting with loose powder also. I even carry a small bottlewith powder rolled in TP when I use my 209 primer rifle.
Loose powder is also cheaper to buy and adjust loads with. [:@]No sence getting fed up with ML rifles because you can't get a group with two or even 3 pellets.

Al

Old 04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

I do not recommend going with pellets just because you are just starting out. Many of us started out with loose powder and had no problems. Myself, I have never used a pellet in any of my ML'S. A good powder measure and a pour spout on the can/bottle work just fine and you can carry quick loads while hunting with loose powder also. I even carry a small bottlewith powder rolled in TP when I use my 209 primer rifle.
Loose powder is also cheaper to buy and adjust loads with. [:@]No sence getting fed up with ML rifles because you can't get a group with two or even 3 pellets.

Al
Greeting Al,
Agree with you if the person is into archery or hand loading, disagree respectfully if the beginner is ajust November hunters. Some people are adverse to using loose power, I have several friends that are. I agree it is cheaper and easier to work up a good load, but it is also more complex and more work to handle. I think that most people should learn the ropes, just like math--learn arithmetic, then learn algebra then learn calculus then learn differential equations then..... Most people don't take to MLing because of all the "fuss", inlines with pellets work best for beginners. Buy 50 grain pellets and 30 grain pellets, then one can do 80g (1 50g pellet and 1 30 grain pellet), 90g (3 30g pellets)and 100g (2 50g pellets)easily. Chap Gleason
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up in Canada our ML season preceeds the rifle season so we are hunting in plus temperatures with the great colors of fall still in the trees. Best time of the year to be in the woods. 20 some years ago ML season became my favorite time of the year (though anytime hunting whitetails is the best time of year). Just remember not to breath in when you let the hammer fall. You can't beat the smell of blackpowder when you see that deer go down.