HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Smokeless Powder Muzzleloader (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/186938-smokeless-powder-muzzleloader.html)

younggun308 04-03-2007 05:00 PM

Smokeless Powder Muzzleloader

A friend of mine has one of these, and I was wondering, are these any good over black powder? His is a Savage. I personaly was thinking of getting a black powder muzzleloader, but what are the cons of a smokeless powder muzzleloader?

In the meantime if someone asks me what kind of muzzleloader I would like to get I'll tell them, "T/C Encore .50 cal. Black Powder".

retrieverman 04-03-2007 06:21 PM

RE: Smokeless Powder Muzzleloader

This question should be asked in the muzzleloading forum.

In my opinion though, if you want to use smokeless powder, take your 308. The ballistics are much better too.

Rammer 04-03-2007 06:26 PM

might want to check regs before you buy a smokeless powder "muzzleloader". I know they aren't legal here.

The TC Encore is a great choice.

AJ52 04-03-2007 08:38 PM

tt

cayugad 04-03-2007 10:10 PM

Actually I have nothing against the smokeless powder shooters. They are just not for me. If they are legal in your state, as they are in Wisconsin and that is what you want to hunt with, then do so. As much as the idea of smokeless powder is to some, they are still a muzzleloader.

I do not own one. I have no intention of owning one. But if someone wanted to give me one, you can bet I would shoot the devil out of it.

What are the cons.. my understanding is the rifle required a vent liner that needs to be replaced every so often. When would depend on the brand of vent liner as I am told there are after market ones. Granted with the right powder and projectile they can get some real impressive ballistics, but then so can an inline with three pellets and the right projectile.

I really do not know enough about the smokeless muzzleloader to say yea, or nae to them. There are other places and forums, where this is a very popular and well liked rifle. They are accurate, hard hitting, not a rush to clean them, there are some real advantages to them. But I would miss the smoke, and stink of the other kind of muzzleloader. My understanding is, a Savage can shoot Triple Se7en powder and some of the others as well.

MLKeith 04-03-2007 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

This question should be asked in the muzzleloading forum.

In my opinion though, if you want to use smokeless powder, take your 308. The ballistics are much better too.
How do you get to another section in this? I went back to the home site and the only one related to muzzleloaders is this one as far as I can find. Personally I don't care what gets posted here but I was just curious that I might be missing another section of talk. If the smokeless was legal in Arizona I would haveat least one muzzleloader that would shoot it.

Rebel Hog 04-03-2007 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Dalkeith

How do you get to another section in this? I went back to the home site and the only one related to muzzleloaders is this one as far as I can find. Personally I don't care what gets posted here but I was just curious that I might be missing another section of talk. If the smokeless was legal in Arizona I would haveat least one muzzleloader that would shoot it.
Sub-forums: Muzzleloading Guns
showPicture("4/1/2007 4:42:07 AM",0,0,0,0,98,0,1)

This is for the sale of Muzzleloaders and not a discussion forum!:D:D:D:D

gleason.chapman 04-04-2007 04:52 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

A friend of mine has one of these, and I was wondering, are these any good over black powder? His is a Savage. I personaly was thinking of getting a black powder muzzleloader, but what are the cons of a smokeless powder muzzleloader?

In the meantime if someone asks me what kind of muzzleloader I would like to get I'll tell them, "T/C Encore .50 cal. Black Powder".
I have a Knight Disc and a TC Omega. I have ordered a Savage 10ML SS, and the reason I ordered it was
1) NY and VA now both allow Smokeless Powerer MLers (VA just did this year, NY didn't care since there were shotgun and ML only)
2) Smokeless powder gives you and extra 75-100 yards effective range (most people do not know this as the big difference)
3) I intend/hope to go over completely from CF to MLers for all hunting at some point in the future. I would use the Smokeless ML in CF season.

I took the scope off my Disc, so that is now my short range ML. I have a 3x9 Elite 3200 Bushnell on my Omega, so that is my 100-150 yard gun. The smokeless is my 200 to 250 yard gun, with either Knight Red Hots (bought them) or TC ShockWaves (have them also). I have not selected powder yet, but have bought scales and everything I need.

Part of this for >>me<< is just to gain understanding of hand loading and ballistics and bullet performance more than it is to shoot smokeless. The real reasons to go smokeless are
1) no cleaning after firing
2) extra range
3) a bit cheaper on powder per shot since smokeless uses about 1/2 of the powder to get equivalent energy (43.5g smokeless for example).

I don't recommend this to everyone as the only ML to buy, but just my way to get a bit of diversity into my hunting/shooting and learn some new things.

Chap Gleason Va

Redclub 04-04-2007 06:35 AM

The savage (factory) is the most powerful,accurate,hardest hitting
ML out there,yes I have one.

But you wanted to know the cons,so with that,you need a powder
scale, it doesn't shoot conicals with smokeless, it doesn't do BP
very well, Its not designed to take the bolt apart (for BP).
The plastic stock is crap. Barrel needs to cool down between shots.
They are not legal with smokeless in a no.of states.
Here in Wi. they are legal but we can only use a 1X scope so there is no real advantage except you don't have to clean it.

With smokeless and sabots it beats any smoker, but with conicals and smoke there are a lot better ones.
RC

eldeguello 04-04-2007 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Well, for one thing, smokeless powder muzzleloaders can only be used in the regular gun season, in at least several states.........