Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A  mixed  bag today .... >

A mixed bag today ....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A mixed bag today ....

Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default A mixed bag today ....

Happy Easter! I had the day off today, being Good Friday, and boy was the wind blowing this morning! Had plenty of chores to do, and by late afternoon the wind seemed to let up. Listening to the NOAA weather radio, we're suppose to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight; I gather some of you have already gotten it. Figured I maybe ought to try and shoot a few today. Called the range..." if you can get here by 5:30, we'll be leaving, but you can stay 'till sundown if you want". Enough said.

I was the only shooter and may know why. The range is oriented shooting West.

I fired a Squib load to foul the barrel; around 30 grains with an overcard. Loaded a 300 Sabertooth and threw one at the 50. Low. Don't know what else to say. Swab and load another. 2, a bit higher. 3,4 by 1, then tossed 5 overtop. Hmm, not thrilled.

5 shots, 3.5", 50 yds., open sights, 300 Sabertooth, 90 Pryro Select, Cabela's Hawken 1:28

" />

Then, broke out the .40 200 XTP's and 40/50 sabots, moved to the upper left quadrant. Not bad.

5 shots, 1.375", 50 yds., open sights.

" />

Well, the cheeks getting use to being "punched by the fatman", so I move the baby sandbags to line up for the 100. Eew, the suns even worse now. Had polarized sunglasses on for the 50, but question the value. Pull the ball cap down lower; lose the glasses. First shot upper right; 'bout where I'd have extrapolated from looking at the 50 results. 2 similar, 3, this is looking good. Oops, in my excitement I send a sabot/bullet down into an empty bore. Super. Pull the xtp, can't get the scew into the sabot. pull the nipple, add some "fuel", close it up. Pooof! I aimed at some sand, saw sparks and the sand "splashed". Never saw or found the wad, but the range rod found "metal" when I probed, so I loaded #4. Yukk. Elle Stinko. #5 returned to order.

I didn't think of it 'till later; I didn't swab after I popped the sabot out with powder through the nipple. I shot a squibbed-fouled barrel. Maybe that's just an excuse for a lousy shot. Keeps us coming back for more I suppose.

5 shots, 100 yds., open sights, .40 200 xtp, 90 pyro select, Cabela's Hawken 1:28

5 shot group 6.625"
4 shot sub-group 2.1875"

It was, as usual, a blast!" />
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A mixed bag today ....

yeoman

Wind is hell on ML bullets....

That was some good shooting with those 200's... those would have taken a crow out @ 100 pretty easy.... I really do like shooting those bullets. That one bullet could just be a great all around bullet varmint to deer...

It was a beautiful day here... should got out, but i was reapiring things at my daughters house and then driving back to Moscow from Kennewick - maybe tomorow, but more than likely Sunday. Need to go out to the meadow country the ground squirrels may be starting to pop their heads up... saw a couple of them in the pre-historic Washingtonflood grounds - sooo maybe they might be starting....

Old 04-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some nice shooting there. Winds can be really bad on projectiles. I bet you are having a lot of fun shooting. Happy Easter.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader -

Wind is hell on ML bullets....
Yes, but it was not a factor by the time I shot. I own any problems seen here.

those would have taken a crow out @ 100 pretty easy.
Well thanks, but not really. The crow would be the big orange circle and he survived. I realize by studying the 100 target and the ballistic tables, I was definitely "peeking" over the sights. I was +1.75" @ 50. No way would I be +4" at 100. I simply "peeked consistently", at least on 1,2,3 & 5. I have a plan which will hopefully improve both POI to POA and accuracy. By the way, the rear Williams ramp sight is a problem to adjust horizontally, as you know. Loosen the screw and it is suddenly moving with zero friction and no scale either. I should think we could come up with a way to add something between it and its base so it doesn't just flop around when the set screw is loosened. Chewing gum might work but must be something better. Any ideas? Cayugad? You must have dealt with this....

SL - question, do the Gold Dots provide access for a ball puller screw in the nose? I'd hate to order any if I can't extract them with a puller, having proven that can happen to me. [:@]
Old 04-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Clear finger nail polish is what I use to keep things from sliding around and also to lock them in place. When you need to remove it, some strong solvent will usually wash it off.

Another thing I used to do for the "slippery sight"is take Scotch Tape and tape the sides of the sight. Then,when you loosen the screw to adjust the sight, it can not move, but of course you can then take the appropriate side tape piece off and move it, or push into it with your finger. Then just tighten the screw back up and everything is fine.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking of possibly spraying something like this on each component of the sight then reassembly. Or, since I have some, brushing a bit of "liquid electrical tape" on each and reassembly. It turns rubbery when dry.

[link]http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Miscellaneous/Grip-Enhancement/All/p1/060272.htm[/link]
Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

SL - question, do the Gold Dots provide access for a ball puller screw in the nose? I'd hate to order any if I can't extract them with a puller, having proven that can happen to me. [:@]
They do! not a problem, but like most bullets ina sabot the bullet will pull out of the sabot so you have to go back in and pull the sabot also. Sometimes that is the more difficult task. You usually have to set the ball puller on the sabot and tap it pretty hard to start the screw into the polymer then keep applying downward pressure. Eventually you get it...

Williams sight adjustment.... now you know why I removed mine and went to the TC fiber Optic click rear sight.... the only problem with that is the front Williams sight has a height of .550 and TC needs a .500. I hate to say it but you might want to consider the switch for the best accuracy over a collection of bullets.

Have not made it to the truck yet...

Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

You usually have to set the ball puller on the sabot and tap it pretty hard to start the screw into the polymer then keep applying downward pressure. Eventually you get it...
Another opportunity..... how about a rod tip attachment that is a screw tip which is .498 at its thickest portion. You'd screw it into the sabot petals then pull it out. Could make one from the tip of a lag bolt if I had a welder.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:56 PM

happy easter good shooting!!!