Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Unloading question >

Unloading question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading question

Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Unloading question

I went pig hunting with Txjourneyman a month or so ago, didn't see a thing and didn't shoot the load outso I left my Optima Loaded. It's stayed loaded all this time,I may go hunting next Tuesday with TxJ if I'm lucky so I figured I should unload it and do a quick clean. should I push the bullet/sabot out the front or try through the threads out the breech?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Unloading question

From all I have read, most remove the plug, remove the powder and then shove the bullet and sabot down the barrel away from the breech plug. That way you dont put wear and tear on the threads.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Unloading question

You can just pull the breech plug and the powder will fall out the back of the rifle. I then use a range rod and push the whole projectile and mess back out the muzzle so I do not damage the projectile. You might have to replace the sabot but the projectile will be fine.