Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 PA HOUSE BILL 819....inlines in the flintlock season.................. >

PA HOUSE BILL 819....inlines in the flintlock season..................

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PA HOUSE BILL 819....inlines in the flintlock season..................

Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA HOUSE BILL 819....inlines in the flintlock season..................

cascadedad,

I don't think you are a bad person. I think it is fair say we don't really understand each other.

Even though I have never yet hunted with flintlock, I certainly can see how the loss ofPA's season would be a terrible loss. A loss in experience it affords those willing to make the commitments to hunt it. And a loss in the fidelity of a worthwhile tradition which has been carried on for decades. It wouldn't be an issue at all if there were enough blackpowder enthusiasts who would just "pitch in" and "be a part of it" in its original context. Instead, they sit back and say "let me use an inline and maybe I will"

So yes it saddens me that the vast majority of blackpowder hunters wouldn't bother to hunt blackpowder except with an inline. I'm not a purist. I personally have been quite pragmatic and I find myself wanting to use and using whateverlegally gives me the best weapon in the field.The difference is, the requirement of flintlock/roundball would not keep me home or make me choose rifle season over ML in the draw. I would participate anyway and enjoy it. Perhaps I would enjoy it more.

The primary focus of blackpowder hunters today is to make blackpowderseasons less primitive and less sporting. I think everyone who hunts with inlines in blackpowder seasons, to include myself, is guilty of this. And I think its fair to say that we may be missing the best of what the season could offer.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Default RE: PA HOUSE BILL 819....inlines in the flintlock season..................

Ive hunted with a flintlock and can see why PA FL hunters are belly aching. Although i must admit that my muzzleloading season also included traditional, early rifle and bow hunters. So i dont really see what the fuss is about. The only time i get upset it when some moron sets up camp in prime hunting spot.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 PM

I really hope they shoot (pun intended) the bill down. The PA flintlock season is unique. It's a novelty season that's done for tradition and fun. I really do not see the season as being "anti-inline" or what not. Simply because the season has been around since before inlines came onto the scene. I'd say just leave it alone.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

wow where do i begin....first off i'm not againest inlines, to each there own....i hunt all seasons i can with my flintlock from earlyoct m/l to regular deer season then flintlock season....i bowhunt also in the late season and if PA lets inlines in then bow season is lost in the late season, and it just becomes another 3 week long doe season for deer that are not here as a lot of PA hunters are saying now....look at fall archery season that opens the last day of sept to the first days of oct depending on the year....we have 3 weeks of quite then small game opens,them the m/l season for one week small game goes on till the last couple of days before the regular deer season opens....the last 3 weeks of bow season is when the ruts going on full swing but the deer are spooky cause of the early m/l and small game, gets tuff those 3 weeks for bowhunters....crossbows so what, they shoot an arrow type projectile in a bolt....then when flintlock and winter bow season open after x-mass the deer aren't as spooky cause they get a couple of weeks off after deer season ends the 2nd week of december....open that to inlines and there will be tons more hunters in the woods that youwould have to wear orange....the main reason why flintlock season was put in after x-mass is the quiet that came with it, it doesn't sound like WW III going off like the monday after thanksgiving....people that are crying the flinters want the woods to themself is the farest from the truth as it can be....i go to the range with my flintlock i always get people coming over to me to see what i'm shooting and ask questions to how do you use one of them....i will show and explain to them how to load one and let them shoot it also....nothing like a 35 year old guy eyes light up like a kid on x-mass mourning....then they go away saying "i've got to get me one of those" , and everyone i know that shoot flintlocks only do the same thing, i haven't seen that with any inliners yet, why???....the big plus side to it for me and others is going hunting with a rifle they made themself from parts and turning it into a rifle is, well just really feels good....i know that can't be said bout an inline........................bob
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Refer to North East Forum for same topic.