HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Harvestor sabots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/185481-harvestor-sabots.html)

powderburns 03-21-2007 03:08 PM

Harvestor sabots

RECENTLY i GOT A FRIEND TO PICK UP 2 PACKS OF hARVESTER THIN WALLED SABOTS ON A RECENT TRIP TO Cabela's. When I checked on their website, B4 his trip, it said they were for .50 cal. When I got them on the packs it says .50 cal for .45 bullets. My question is: Can i use these sabots with .44 cal bullets + expect any kind of accurracy? if it still wasn't winter(we still have about 2 feet of snow). I would try them out myself.

sabotloader 03-21-2007 05:21 PM

RE: Harvestor sabots

powderburns

When I got them on the packs it says .50 cal for .45 bullets. My question is: Can i use these sabots with .44 cal bullets + expect any kind of accurracy? if it still wasn't winter(we still have about 2 feet of snow). I would try them out myself.
No, probably not... the bullets might even fall out of the sabot. You really should get the right sabot for the right bullet.

cayugad 03-21-2007 05:42 PM

I tried that and it does not work. For some reason it throws them all over the place. When I discovered I had the wrong sabots, I switched to the correct ones and the accuracy came right back. You would not think a simple .022 difference would cause that, but it does. Also the projectile will fall back out of the barrel with a good shake.

powderburns 03-21-2007 08:24 PM

OK, thanks guy's.

powderburns 03-22-2007 08:40 AM

Just a thought+ more than likely a dumb question. When I looked on the website for the item#. It said for .50 cal. When I got the packs it says .50 cal rifle + for .45cal bullets. So if anyone orders from there, watch out for that. My question is: I've always used .44 bullets with green(hornady/knight) sabots. Could i use these sabots with a .45 cal bullet in my .50 cal rifle? I'm surprised I even thought of this.lol.

cayugad 03-22-2007 08:46 AM

Sure get a box of .451-.452 Hornady XTP and they will work just fine. In fact they might be more accurate then the .430 or 44 caliber.

sabotloader 03-22-2007 09:04 AM

powderburns

As cayugad said get a box of .451 or .452 and shoot the heck out of them. I have found in my case that the 45's are consitently more accurate from my 50's anyway.

If I could suggest a bullet and you can find them available, get some Speer Gold Dots.. 300 grain HP's. These bullets are bonded and designed to open to a certain point and then hold shape... I call them a poorman's Nosler. They have a really decent BC for a 300 grain/45 and for me they are really accurate. I shoot them with a 100 grains of T7-2f in most of my guns.

powderburns 03-22-2007 03:29 PM

Thanks again.