HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   TC Warranty/Customer Service (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/185172-tc-warranty-customer-service.html)

Newmuzzleman 03-19-2007 11:20 AM

TC Warranty/Customer Service

Just wanted to mention my experience with TC. I did alot of research and picked alot of brains on this site before buying a TC encore. I got it just before the deer season here in Ontario so it did not leave me with much time to play with different bullets etc. I shot 10 shots of Hornady SST's with 150 grains of pyrodex pellets, liked 150 grains better than 100. Groups were good enough at 100 yards so I cleaned my encore. Shot 2 more through it to make sure sight in was still good. After the hunt season had ended I gave my encore another good cleaning only to find quite a bit of rust at the end of the barrel down to about 4 inches from the top. Also some near the breech end as well. Talked with TC. They told me to send it to a guy who does their Canadian repairs. They sent me a brand new barrel and breech plug. Must have been a flawed barrel I guess. Thanks to everyone in this forum who recommended spending the extra $ for the TC. That would have been an expensive fix for me out of pocket. Oh ya, shot a doe with it opening morning. Sweet. Now I can play with some more loads. Thanks TC.

frontier gander 03-19-2007 11:24 AM

RE: TC Warranty/Customer Service

What did you clean it with? Im interested in how well you clean the barrel and what steps you take.

Was it rusted when you first got it? If not, the rust was caused by improper cleaning.

Newmuzzleman 03-19-2007 11:36 AM

It was not rusted when I got it. It was cleaned very well after the initial sight in, and there were no signs at all. Inspected with a bore light too and it was clean. Hot soapy H2O followed by several TC #13 swabbings and then dry patches. Then some TC bore butter. Weird eh.

cayugad 03-19-2007 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Newmuzzleman

It was not rusted when I got it. It was cleaned very well after the initial sight in, and there were no signs at all. Inspected with a bore light too and it was clean. Hot soapy H2O followed by several TC #13 swabbings and then dry patches. Then some TC bore butter. Weird eh.
Glad to hear Thompson Center took such good care of you. Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on this barrel. If you use bore butter, then you have to make sure it was applied properly.

gleason.chapman 03-19-2007 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: Newmuzzleman

Glad to hear Thompson Center took such good care of you. Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on this barrel. If you use bore butter, then you have to make sure it was applied properly.

Applied properly? What is appled properly for bore butter? Chap Gleason

cayugad 03-19-2007 12:38 PM

Not that I am a bore butter user, but there are many that have no problems at all protecting their rifles with the stuff. And I do want to stress, THEIR RIFLES. I personally use a quality oil to protect my rifles. But to each their own.

Newmuzzleman 03-19-2007 12:42 PM

Thanks cayugad. Still in all of the learning processes. My neighbor uses it in his encore so it was recommended, by him anyway.

txfireman 03-19-2007 02:12 PM

I have a TC Encore that was purchased 2 years ago. It is the stainless one. Have well over 100 rounds through the gun with NO rust anywhere. I have never cleaned the gun with the hot soapy water due to water and metal just dont work well together regardless of how dry you think you get it. It is moisture none the less and it is the moisture you can'tsee. I am a Pyrodex pellet user and have found that any type of Orange natural cleaner, Simple Green or any of the home brews that the more experianced folks use on here, like the windshield wiper fluid, alchol stuff are better alternatives to H2O. I use the #13 patches for range swabbing and when it comes to deep cleaning after shooting, CVA's bore blaster is great and I have also used the natural Gun Scrubber. I also use Bore Butter, I put a light coat on the rifling and leave it sit for a couple of hours then run a dry patch through. I am just not a huge fan of using water. I'd make a change in your routine and do something different.

Newmuzzleman 03-20-2007 03:58 PM

Thanks for the tip txfireman. I don't think that H2O was the problem. Hot water really gets the barrel clean. Just make sure that you get all the water out and then use TC#13 in case the hot water missed some powder.

cayugad 03-20-2007 05:01 PM

Newmuzzleman - This is just my opinion mind you, use it if you want.. T/C #13 is really not all that great of a product. I'd rather use 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid to swab and to drive water out of the bore. Like I said, use it if you want, but I really don't have much faith in the product. T/C of course pushes it, like bore butter, and why not.. they sell the stuff. I just think there are much superior products out there.