Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

100 yard accuracy

Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Default 100 yard accuracy

I'm shooting 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards with a 240 grain Hornady XTP with 110 grains. I worked up to this from 80 grains and it seems to be the most consistant. I went to my local gun shop/smith and they said my trigger couldn't be worked on. It's a CVA Optima Pro, when they asked why I wanted to lighten my trigger I told them I wanted to tighten up my 5-6 inch group at 100 yards and they said that was pretty damn good and I should be happy with that with black powder.

I told them I had heard on the internet of guys shooting1- 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards and they laughed and said a lot of guys say that "on the internet".

Is it asking too much to get tighter groups at 100 yards? I would be happy to settle with this if the guys at the shop are right, as long as I'm in the boiler room of a deer or hog at 100 yards I'm happy.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Default RE: 100 yard accuracy

Sounds like the shop are a bunch of dumb hillbillys that dont know snot about muzzleloading. Call CVA and tell them you want your trigger adjusted and they will do it for you for no cost. Maybe a few bucks to send it to them is all it will cost you. How many lbs is the trigger pull? If it has those plastic sights, ditch them and get you some good sights like truglow. What kind of powder are you using?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 PM

I mounted a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn on it and I am shooting Pyrodex RS and Triple 7. have'nt noticed much of a difference between the two powders yet other than the RS stinks when I clean between shots.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your groups were with open sights and off hand I would say good job. If with a scope and off a rest I would say look for a problem (with the gun or shooter)or change components.

My son's regular Optima shoots around 1.5" with a 250 Shockwave and 80 to 100 gr of Pyro P if I shoot it, around 3" when my 13 year old shoots it.

I don't accept a load till it shoots under 2" at 100 yards off a rest, especially if its with a scope, otherwise I limit the range I will shoot with that gun and load combo. With my Magbolt the best grouping bullet I have tried is the 348HP Powerbelt over 100gr of 777 2F, it usually groups around .75" (sometimes better) if I do my part. Most of the loads I use shoot under 1.5" and they include sabot bullets, conicals and roundball. Some guns, like my Magbolt, like heavier bullets, others may like lighter bullets or any bullet, each gun is unique in what it likes. That is what makes this sport so much fun and gives us all a good excuse to go shooting more.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Lots of people claim 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. There are indeed people that can do it and do it often.

The first thing I would ask you is, are you swabbing the bore free of fowling between shots? I learned today that a simple swabbing made almost a 1 inch difference at 50 yards. What would have that translated to out at 100 yards? Swab between shots.

Next, have you tried any other kind of projectile other then the 240 gr XTP? Perhaps the rifle just does not like them.

So I would get some other kind of projectiles, like 250 gr Shockwaves, or even some powerbelts. I would swab between shots, and see if that does not make a difference. I am not going to promise you 2" groups. There are some rifles that simply will not shoot that kind of group. But with a scope, a 5" group is not acceptable IMO.

As for your trigger? What really is the matter with it?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 PM

could be like cayugad said, may not like XTP's. But im not exactly sure about that. I'd give some Great plains conicals a try, 385 grains or TC maxi hunters. Just because they shoot great for me, doesnt mean they will for you but its worth a shot. Or it could be flinching. Maybe have a couple friends come over and all of you guys shoot it and see what happens.

What kind of primer you using? If it has a stiff trigger than its more than likely that causing your groups to open up a bit. Give CVA a call and they'll adjust it down for you. 3.5lbs is the max that they will allow. Safety reasons.

Just have to fix one thing at a time, play with new powder charges until you find what it likes.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Sthrnhogbuster

Where do you live that 5-6 " group might work somewhere a normal shot is 50 to 60 yards. But the thing is are you happy with it, must not be if you are looking to adjust the trigger to tighten your groups.

I have not been shooting mzleloders long but I have been shooting CenterF for years.I posted some pics here.
copper fouling?...........................Oh wait I have a brass range rod.
sabotloader posted a targethis is a good example of shooting my pic the one at 100 yrds peep sight, is a 3 1/2" to 4"and it needs work I know I can do better with a different combo bullet powder measure or powder. I just need to dial it in. Bdeather has shoot some tiny groups with his white lightning If he would ever decide he wants to see how a computer works and learn to load pics they are tight little groups he is shooting.

I am with FG on this one I would look to someone else for advice if it were me.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad

When you swab betwix shoots are you using a wet cleaner patch and a dry one or two dry with the wet.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I swab between every shot with a solution of 50% alcohol and 50% windex, wet patch and then 2 dry patches, I have been vigilant with cleaning between shots, learned that here couple of months ago when I first got the rifle. I have tried powerbelts but I think I need to play with this thing some more. I like the XTP's cause their 30 for 9.99. I think I'll go get some heavier Powerbelts and try those next. More shooting!!!

Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to my local gun shop/smith and they said my trigger couldn't be worked on.

I told them I had heard on the internet of guys shooting1- 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards and they laughed and said a lot of guys say that "on the internet".
And there in a nut shell is why I stay out of local sporting goods stores as much as possible. Some people claim to hate the know nothing pimple faced kid in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart but I'd waaay rather deal with him than the opinionated, dishonest, smarmy, rude, pseudointellectuals that infest virtually every sporting goods store in America. About all I buy from them is powder. I wouldn't trust the guy behind the counter at most sporting goods stores to tell me the correct time if lying about it would make his day easier or put some coin in his pocket. Sad but true. And if you like print out a copy of the photo below. It's a 100 yard three shot group from my T/C Omega with 120 grains of Pyrodex and a 240 gr Hornady XTP Mag sabot. I guess since they say such groups are impossible from a muzzleloader then this must be an optical illusion.

Quick Reply: 100 yard accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.