Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is this really muzzleloading? >

Is this really muzzleloading?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this really muzzleloading?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Is this really muzzleloading?

Was looking at the CVA website and came across the new products for this year. Check out the site and let me know what you think.

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_electra.htm
Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Is this really muzzleloading?

some say its not, But then again, a :muzzleloader" shooting smokeless powder, Is that a muzzleloader?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Dominant Buck

It has to be the electric ignition muzzleloader. You know I was a little surprised when this came out. Personally I think that it is a gimmick. I really do not see that catching on. Do I agree with it, well first off most states have ignition requirements of 209, musket or #11 ignition. So what happens when you purchase the electric ignition rifle? It is not legal. I also would miss the break in a trigger not flipping a light switch. If others want to buy it and use it, I don't have a problem with that. It just is not for me is all I will say.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

No adventure in my opinion.I have gone from the 30-06 world to the in-line world to the flintlock world for deer hunting. I need / like the adventure.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 PM

Not to me...none of the so called modern high technology, hight performance, scope sighted, long range, smokeless powder buringingrifles that happen to load from the front aremuzzleloaders at all in thespirit of what real muzzleloading is all about.

They are nothing more than advanced high technology products taking advantage of the loosely written regulations for muzzleloading seasons that were clearly set up decades ago by and for traditional style muzzleloading enthusiaststo keep the real sidelockmuzzleloading tradition alive, just like special bow seasons were established to recognize and preserve the uniqueness of bow hunting...and is why high tech, high performance "scoped crossbows" are generally not allowed in bow seasons.

Modern inlines today are already matching/exceeding some centerfire ballistics, yet centerfireshave always been prohibited from muzzleloader seasons for reasons obvious to every 12 year old in the country.
This electronic ignition variation of a modern high tech "MUZZLELOADER" is just the next in a long line of attempts to make deer hunting easy for "arm chair hunters" who have not or will not spend the time learning the craft of real muzzleloading and deer hunting.

Opinions were asked for, the aboveis justmy personal opinion...others may vary of course.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: roundball

This electronic ignition variation of a modern high tech "MUZZLELOADER" is just the next in a long line of attempts to make deer hunting easy for "arm chair hunters" who have not or will not spend the time learning the craft of real muzzleloading and deer hunting.
I had originally bought my Omega for; ease of use, ease of cleaning, out of the box accuracy (and it is accurate), familiarity with centerfires. But what I found out after my first deer harvest with this rifle last fall, was that it was very much the same as shooting any of my centerfire rifles.Minus the re-load of course. It lacked the challenge that I thought ML'ing was supposed to be. I live in Canada in an area where we do not have special seasons for ML'ing. So if you use a ML here, you are out there with all of the other rifle hunters. This is fine with me and just adds to moment. Next fall I will be using a flintlock and the Omega will be at home. The neat thing is the look on other hunters faces when you tell them you shot it with a ML.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

It is a muzzleloader by definition period.
Anything that gets people out in the woods w/one shot is better in my opinion. One shot means being more careful about shot placement, what your aiming @, etc.
I use my Omega during shotgun season, sidehammer during late season some of the time.
Complaining about how trad it is is just brings down the sport.
If it is a legal means of taking game please enjoy....
SHills
Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

I had originally bought my Omega for; ease of use, ease of cleaning, out of the box accuracy (and it is accurate), familiarity with centerfires. But what I found out after my first deer harvest with this rifle last fall, was that it was very much the same as shooting any of my centerfire rifles.Minus the re-load of course. It lacked the challenge that I thought ML'ing was supposed to be. I live in Canada in an area where we do not have special seasons for ML'ing. So if you use a ML here, you are out there with all of the other rifle hunters. This is fine with me and just adds to moment. Next fall I will be using a flintlock and the Omega will be at home. The neat thing is the look on other hunters faces when you tell them you shot it with a ML.
Congratulations...you've got it...and you're going after it the hard way because that's how they did it back in the day...anybody can shoot a deer with a big powerful scoped rifle...dragging one out with a sidelock, indeed a Flintlock is a much greater challenge.

And as you obviously know,it has nothing to do with "what's legal by the letter of the law" and doesn't "bring down" the sport to discuss it...that's like somebody saying we can't voice an opinion if it's different than theirs...good luck with your Flintlock this fall...just deciding to do itmeans you've already succeeded...anything you might take with it will just be gravy!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shills, it certainly is ML. The laws are vague to some extent in the US as they are in Canada. It's all about the hunt. If you are legal and the challenge is to your acceptance then by all means enjoy. There is always the ability to increase the challenge with ML's.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:58 PM

those Bergara Barrel's they are now coming out with are supposted to be great barrels. ive seen posts of the optima elites with centerfire barrels and Mling barrels and the accuracy was great. CVA is also coming out witha 300win mag centerfire.

Im wanting to buy the elite but with a 45-70 barrel. Supposted to come out in march or april.

Quick Reply: Is this really muzzleloading?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.