HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Traditions Shanendoah (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/184112-traditions-shanendoah.html)

MLKeith 03-11-2007 10:00 AM

Traditions Shanendoah

Anybody have any experience with one? I found one on the used gun rack for $150 and it looks pretty good. Only a couple of dents in the forestock and the metal looks unused. Have not checked the bore yet. I presently do not have any Spanish rifles but with this one with the 1 in 66 twist it would only be a low power patched ball shooter anyway. I would probably try to put a peep sight on as I can barely see iron sights anymore. Has anyone done that with a similar Traditions. I also find the sights hard to get my cheek down far enough to get them lined up. May have to raise the front sight also. Not sure I need another muzzleloader but this one is very pretty and wanted to come home with me.

cayugad 03-11-2007 10:27 AM

RE: Traditions Shanendoah

I don't have a Tradition's Shanendoah, but that is a top of the line Tradition's rifle. If the bore was good, I could sure put up with a few marks on the stock. Be sure and check the stock over good for hair line cracks. I have a Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins with a 1-66 barrel and it is a great shooter with 90 grains of Pyrodex and a roundball.

You do know that you need to get a flush kit to clean that as they do not advise removing the stock each time for cleaninglike a hooked breech model.

For that kind of money it would be a nice rifle if the shape is good.

MLKeith 03-11-2007 01:01 PM

I noticed that the stock is pinned on with two pins. The set trigger seemed to be functioning OK except that the set (rear) trigger is very hard to set but the release is only a pound or two at the most (I am not good at estimating the release pressure but it is very light). There is almost no stain around the nipple and the barrel looked OK but I can't get my bore light to work. I guess I can try your shiny brass trick with a small pen light for the light source. I have some nickle .40S&W brass that should work. If It is still there Monday I think I am going to get it. I need another gun safe anyway (still waiting on my Thunderbolt White to get a barrel on it too). Have not heard from Doc lately but suspect he has not forgotten about it and I hate to bug him he said he was several months behind getting stuff out that he was working on. The availability of the barrel is the problem. Finally got my Huntsman back together with the correct scope mount and the new Burris ballistic plex scope. Now to just find time to get to the range and shoot it. The barrel on the Huntsman measures very close to a White. Much larger than my Omega. The Omega is .500 at the grooves and the Huntsman is .504 at the grooves. I might be able to shoot some of the heavy conicals that I bought for the White that I don't have yet.

frontier gander 03-11-2007 01:11 PM

Sounds like a good deal. My new rifle kit im building also has a heavy set trigger but i noticed theres 2 screws for adjustment so i'll probably fiddle with those and see if it lightens it any. If the bore,stock and all the other stuff is in good shape, its a steal for $150. Those cost close to $500 new. I'd go for it and buy it while it available for that price.