HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Goex Pinnacle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/183800-goex-pinnacle.html)

Tenmilephenom 03-08-2007 06:20 PM

Goex Pinnacle

Anyone use this powder and whats your opinion compared to t7 or pyrodex rs. Thanks

cayugad 03-08-2007 06:40 PM

RE: Goex Pinnacle

I've shot a lot of Pinnacle 3f powder off. I like the powder for certain projectiles. With light sabots 300 grains and under, the powder worked real good. For conicals and heavy sabots, the stuff was terrible. I always shot the 3f grade because the 2f grade was a little course I was told, like APP 2f which I have also shot.

I shot Pinnacle in traditional rifles with roundball and it worked real good. The ignition time was excellent as was the accuracy. Again, when I went to conicals in the Traditional style rifles, the accuracy dropped.

Pinnacle seems to have very good powder. There is no swabbing of the barrel necessary between shots. Clean up is real easy.

Pyrodex while being a much more fowling and dirty powder is an excellent powder. I have always gotten excellent accuracy with Pyrodex RS and P. I shot some today as a matter of fact and while I had to swab between shots, the accuracy was very good. Also, Pyrodex is very cost effective when you compare it to some of the other powders. Pyrodex normally sells for around $13.00 a pound while the other powders can run between $19.00-$23.00 a pound. So when you can get a pound and a half of pyrodex for the same price as the others, it starts to look real good. If you don't mind swabbing the barrel and clean up might take a little longer, Pyrodex is still a good buy.

Triple Se7en is a great powder with out doubt. It is powerful, and cleans up easy. Many people do find it necessary to swab between shots. Triple Se7en will shoot about kind of projectile you want to shoot with it. I like the powder, especially for conicals. For sabots, it can really produce some good down range performance. It is a good powder if you like easy clean up, excellent power, but do not mind the slight price increase.

Tenmilephenom 03-08-2007 07:12 PM

In what loads do ya use pyro p. Isnt this a pistol powder?

cayugad 03-08-2007 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Tenmilephenom

In what loads do ya use pyro p. Isnt this a pistol powder?
While Pyrodex P can be used in pistols or revolvers, it is nothing more then a finer grade of Pyrodex RS. Pyrodex P is used in rifles all the time. Today I was shooting it in a .54 caliber rifle and a .50 caliber with some impressive results. While many people tell you not to use Grade FFF powders in rifles, I do it all the time and actually in many cases prefer them.

Today for instance in my Renegade, I was shooting 90 grains of Pyrodex P and some sabots. At 50 yards it was holding a good group until I had a flier. I was swabbing between shots, and when I did not swab, then I had it throw one on me.

I then changed over to a White Ultra Mag shooting 80 grains with a 500 grain conical. The accuracy was exceptional and the down range power would be something to see. When them conicals hit my steel trap, the clanking noise is very easy to hear.

goatbrother 03-08-2007 11:15 PM

Been using the ffg in my shotgun. It's clean, maybe cleaner than T7?, pattens well, doesn't appear to be especialy corrosive. Very course, more like 1 1/2 f, can get bound up in the measure when charging the barrel. Nothing a little taping didn't fix.

rafsob 03-18-2007 11:04 AM

Two thumbs up for this powder!!! I used it the other day at the range in my new Hawkens carbine. I used it with Maxihunters,Maxiballs and Hornaday Power Belts. They all shot beyond my expectations.

It cleans up better then most powders! ;)