Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

totally lost

Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: totally lost

ORIGINAL: Redclub

I have and do hunt CO. during the ML season and I have hunted the flattops for many years.
The Omega will shoot 348 powerbelts just fine and will kill elk but they are not a white which imo is a really great conical shooter. Put in a 460 grain conical over a 1oo grains of T7 and you will take any elk out there.
I believe the powerbelt will take elk very effectively with a good hit. I would be concerned with a shoulder shot tho,not the greatest penetration.
The 460 conical will put them down any place a centerfire rifle will
I seen the results first hand on both and these are my opinions.
THe Omega is a fine rifle for a beginner.
Redclub
Agree on PB for Shoulder hits on Elk, big bucks, really any big game. We discuss this PB Fragmentation at length in another thread (and I don't want to open it up again, just to inform the people who are not following every day)here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1886707&mpage=1&key=&#188670 7

If you want to know what Toby Bridges feels about them, see this:
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/feedback.html

and Randy Wakeman:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/powerbelt_bullets.htm

There are a lot better bullets that penetrate.

Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redclub

I have and do hunt CO. during the ML season and I have hunted the flattops for many years.
The Omega will shoot 348 powerbelts just fine and will kill elk but they are not a white which imo is a really great conical shooter. Put in a 460 grain conical over a 1oo grains of T7 and you will take any elk out there.
I believe the powerbelt will take elk very effectively with a good hit. I would be concerned with a shoulder shot tho,not the greatest penetration.
The 460 conical will put them down any place a centerfire rifle will
I seen the results first hand on both and these are my opinions.
THe Omega is a fine rifle for a beginner.
Redclub
Are powerbelts legal now?

COLORADO
Minimum Rifle Caliber: 40 caliber for deer, pronghorn antelope, black bear, sheep and goat; 50 for elk and moose
Minimum Handgun Caliber:
prohibited
Legal Projectiles:
lead bullet only
Are Pyrodex Pellets Legal?
no
Are Scopes Legal?
no
Minimum Barrel Length:
ATF standard
Ignition System Restrictions:
percussion and flintlock
Are In-line Rifles Legal?
yes
Special Muzzleloading License Required?
must designate when filing for specific big game
Other Muzzleloader Rules:
Only single-barrel muzzleloading rifles are legal for blackpowder hunting in Colorado. For 40- to 50-caliber guns, the bullets must weigh at least 170 grains, and for 50 and larger calibers, bullets must weigh at least 210 grains.
Season Information:
2000 Deer/elk/antelope: available by drawing only Deer/elk: west of I-25 (and unit 140): Sept. 9-17 Plains deer: east of I-25 (except unit 140): Oct. 14-22 Antelope: Oct. 21-29
For More Information:
Colorado Wildlife Division 1313 Sherman, Room #718 Denver, CO 80203 Phone (303) 297-1192 http://www.dnr.state.co.us/wildlife

Old 02-24-2007, 04:07 PM

If greater than .50, bulles must weigh a min. of 210 grains.
From .40caliber to 50 caliber, bullets must weigh min. 170 grains.
There has never been any rules about it being lead bullet only. Where are you getting your info? Im reading the manual right now and find nothing about that.

shotshells, primers and flintlock are legal.

Also have found no barrel length limit.

Just looked on the colorado DOW website and there are no rules about it having to be an all lead projectile. Scroll down to page 3 and the new rules are in there.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6E977561-C613-466D-BCFC-2CA9C9C91CD9/0/Ch02.pdf
Old 02-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

If greater than .50, bulles must weigh a min. of 210 grains.
From .40caliber to 50 caliber, bullets must weigh min. 170 grains.
There has never been any rules about it being lead bullet only. Where are you getting your info? Im reading the manual right now and find nothing about that.

shotshells, primers and flintlock are legal.

Also have found no barrel length limit.

Just looked on the colorado DOW website and there are no rules about it having to be an all lead projectile. Scroll down to page 3 and the new rules are in there.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6E977561-C613-466D-BCFC-2CA9C9C91CD9/0/Ch02.pdf
How many of these Restrictions have been changed since 1997?

Commission Considers Changes to Muzzle-loading Regulations

Old 02-24-2007, 04:29 PM

A lot of those laws have changed since 1997.

only 13 laws now. You should have the dow send you a new 2007 Colorado big game 2007 book with all the rules and requirements. The only restrictions on bullets is that the bullet length can not exeed twice the diameter of the bullet. And sabots of course are not legal.

Powerbelts are not sabots and are legal.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rebel Hog

I can not read - these are the old rules...
Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Powerbelts are not sabots and are legal.
Jon, all powerbelts or Lead Only powerbelts?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:41 PM

all powerbelts are legal. Im going to give my local dow office a call. I only live 10 miles away from Spanish peaks state wildlife center.

There is no such thing as an all lead bullet rule. Copper jacketed conicals are legal. Only sabots are illegal. Heres also a couple pics in the 2007 rule book.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

"During ML season, just about any ignition system is allowed, EXCEPT, one can't use the little 25 ACP cartridge and BP. Only 209, percussion cap, or flints allowed. "

Where are you reading this? I know guys who use the 25 ACP conversion primers, and know of no problems using them??
209's are expressly allowed, so I take this to mean that other than flint, or percussion cap, 209's are also legal. Seems to me, if everything is legal, they should just say so. For example, "All types of ignition are legal for ML season". I asked this very question on the website. I got no answer and even if I did, I would make sure I carried a copy of the response if it were in favor of LRP, SRP, andpistol primersfor ignition.

The rules are certainlyneither precisenor are theydevoid of ambiguity. As for no one having problems with ACP ignition. I hunted 4 days of the ML season last year and never saw a game warden. I would say if your buddies' ignition has been checked in the field by game wardens during the ML season, then I am most likely "reading too much" into the regs and what "they mean". Have their ACP ignition systems beeninspected and verifiedby game warden(s)?

Old 02-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Here is another Conical source that looks to be good, someone on here mentioned them, i have an order in to try out for grins.
http://www.blackwidowbullets.com/

Quick Reply: totally lost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.