Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anybody ever used "ballets"? >

Anybody ever used "ballets"?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody ever used "ballets"?

Old 02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever used "ballets"?

I was wondering if these would shoot very good in a 1/72 twist or if there was no use in even trying them.
Actually with a 1-72 twist (what a nice twist) I think your best accuracy will always be a roundball. The nice thing is with that slow twist, you can push the roundball a lot harder in most cases. I shoot a .58 caliber with a 1-70 twist and have pushed that to 120 grains of Goex 2f with still, excellent accuracy. My hunting load is only 100 -110 grains of Goex and that 284 gr roundball. Very little will walk away from that I am going to guess.

If I were real concerned with shooting a conical, I simply get a barrel that was made to shoot them. I did not notice if you mentioned the make of your rifle, but there might be other barrels out there, much better suited. From the rate of twist, I would almost guess something custom. I'd just shoot roundball and lot of them. Then get a different rifle for your conical playing...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever used "ballets"?

LOL Well the 1/48 Traditions should probably do better with other than round balls...but these were for my T/C Hawken .54. I have been lookin into another barrel for it an will probably do that at some point. I have just came to the conclusion right or wrong that with ML's you dont have speed so you better have weight. Thats why I been thinking about the 400+ grainers. I have shot a lot of sabots with the inline and it didnt seem like they penetrated good until you hit the 300gr mark for the 50. These are all just random thoughts so feel free to smack me back in line if they are in left field