Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 replacement sabots >

replacement sabots

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

replacement sabots

Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Spike

Default replacement sabots

Hello. I have a question for all you blackpowder gurus. My father is shooting an Omega and tried the SHOCKWAVE bullets but he said that he needed a jackhammer to get the bullet down the barrel...My question is if he could replace the sabot with something else to make it easier to load? He has also tried the Barnes spitzer boattail and said that that is really hard for him to load. He currently shoots powerbelts but has yet to get a passthorugh on 6 different deer and he wants to shoot something else....Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and all advice is welcome
Old 02-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Default RE: replacement sabots

sw super glide
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

da new guy

If he is shooting 45 cal bullets he need to use a MMP-HPH-24 sabot or a Havester Regular sabot. There are new shockwave out there that come with the new e-z load yellow sabot they should load up just fine also.

The thinnest 45 cal sabots on the market are the MMP-HPH-3p EZ load and the Harvester "Crush rib" these will go down also... the "crush rib" come in a 44 cal also...

www.mmpsabots.com

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

Hope this helps - If you need more info come back and ask...

mike
Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: da new guy

He currently shoots powerbelts but has yet to get a passthorugh on 6 different deer and he wants to shoot something else....Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and all advice is welcome
SabotLoader gave youtheSabots that will work. I use the Crushed rib for all my bullets and I buy bulk bullets. The PB exand too quickly and they are known to fragment, if you want to find out about them see this thread:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1886707&mpage=1&key=&#188670 7

we do not have to start the PB war again, that thread says it all. I have seen threads on the Shockwave that they shoot thru the deer but do not expand enough, leaving a hole on the off side the same size as the entrance hole. The Barnes bullet is a good bullet and with the Crushed rib or MMP HPH 3P EZ should work. The Crushed Rib are $4.99 at Mid South Shooter supply. I have an Omega and I shoot Nosler Partition 300g with 100g of loose 777, with a Harvester Crusted Rib sabot. The Nosler's are pistol bullets NOT packaged ML bullets, they shoot thru well and exapand well. If you just have to shoot a PB like bullet, try the Harvester SabreTooth:
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/loadSaber.htm
they do NOT fragment, retain nearly 100% of wight and shoot thru on broadside shots. My brother uses them with his Encore. Here is an article by Toby Brides on the SabreTooth:
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/feedback.html

If you want to do 200 yard shotsyou need to stay with the Barnes or got to Knight Red Hot (made by Barnes) or some other bullet with a high balistic coefficient. See this:
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical.html

it would be good to read Toby's entire site, since he has a lot of good info on High Performance ML. He use to be into Savage, but not any longer.
Randy Wakeman also has a lot of good info:
http://www.randywakeman.com/inline.htm
he likes the Barnes 275g XPB.

Hope that helps. Chap Gleason Va

Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

gleason.chapman,They work good for close range varmit,I almost blew a coyote in half with a 245. Lee
Old 02-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, ithas beenmy impression that the SW comes with a smaller diameter sabot then the sst which are packaged with HPH12's. I remember theyhad different markings in the baseand mic'd different, though I can't recall thedetails off the top of my headand don't have any on hand to check. Iwas toldSW's were packaged withthe HPH24's butstill unconfirmed! Do you know? Thanks

Chap, the Barnes Spitfire (MZ and TMZ) are boattailed, so the standrad sabots will not work. I have been doing research on the TMZ's for use in the savage and it appears your stuck with the packaged yellow sabots, asI have found nothing to sub them with.

Sorry da new guy to horn in your post a little. Have dad try the ez 3 petal or crushed rib harvester sabot with the SW. Like already mentioned. G/L and welcome

Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I think most has been covered well but wanted to mention that if the second shot is the one that is really causing the problem it might be because of Tripple Seven. You did not mention if it was the first loading or ones after that. My Omega is also very tight. I can only load with the three petal or crushrib sabots. I found nothing on the shelf that would work. Not sure how new or old the stuff I can find is. It gets pretty confusing after you buy about five or six different combinations and try to remember which ones work. I think I now have a box full of sabots of almost every description and hope I did a good job of marking them. As far as a second shot I gave up on T7 and found that other powders make a second shot a lot easier (personally I prefer Black Mag'3 when I can find it). I slugged my bore and it is exactly .500. Most are a little larger than that usually they measure .503-.504 from what I have been told. I am going to slug my Huntsman to see how it comes out. (that dimension is to the depth of the grooves).
Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

skeeter 7MM

sabotloader, ithas beenmy impression that the SW comes with a smaller diameter sabot then the sst which are packaged with HPH12's. I remember theyhad different markings in the baseand mic'd different, though I can't recall thedetails off the top of my headand don't have any on hand to check. Iwas toldSW's were packaged withthe HPH24's butstill unconfirmed!
You are correct, but there were a lot of SW's packaged with the black HPH-12's right after MMP got the contract. Those are the ones causingthe problem... actually if you have some of those call TC and they will replace them with the correct ones...

I am not sure that you can tell from the base or the markings, because of the White I own I use both and I have to be very careful not to mix the two...

Sidenote... for what it is worth, I asked Cecil, (PR Bullets)one time about shooting boattail bullets in a regular sabot - he indicated a it was a no-no unless you were shooting significantly reduced loads.... I'll have to ask Del his thoughtsnext e-mail...

Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Chap, the Barnes Spitfire (MZ and TMZ) are boattailed, so the standrad sabots will not work. I have been doing research on the TMZ's for use in the savage and it appears your stuck with the packaged yellow sabots, asI have found nothing to sub them with.
Skeeter 7MM, Was not aware that they were boat tailed. I stand corrected. Thanks
Chap Gleason
Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

gleason.chapman,They work good for close range varmit,I almost blew a coyote in half with a 245. Lee
yes, I can believe that, they really expand fast on thin skinned animals. perfect for coyote, not so perfect for shoulder on moose, elk, black bear or big 250 pound maturebucks. perfect for ribs on anything.
Chap

Quick Reply: replacement sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.