Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

10mm bullets

Old 02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 10mm bullets

The 200 grain XTP are getting to be one of my favorite bullets. For a couple reason I think they are an over looked projectile. First, the cost of shooting them when you buy them in bulk is a definate plus. Also I found you can push them pretty hard and they still hold true. The last thing that really impressed me with them was when I was shooting frozen red cabbage from the garden. Red cabbage is a tight packed multi layers vegetable. Try cutting a cabbage with a knife. You will know what I mean. When frozen they are as solid as a rock you would think. Hit them with one of those 200 grain XTP's and they explode like crazy. That tells me that those little 200 grain zippers are expanding very well in that cabbage to explode it like that. Besides that, it was a lot of fun and a good way to clean the big garden..

I fully intend to try them out next deer season and see what they do on deer at medium ranges. I think I will not be disappointed.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Cayugad,
If the 10mm perform that well in a .50 caliber with the 50/40 sabot. Then would a .45 caliber with a 45/40 sabot be just as efficient of a rifle combination for like whitetail deer hunting? I am just thinking of picking up a .45 caliber soon. I just got in several different boxes of the 10mm to experiment with.

Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the guys at the club I shoot at is using a 45 Omega Hes tried a lot of stuff and ended up shooting 10mm almost all the time, he gets a little more velocity for the same amout of powder than I do in the 50 cal. Lee
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

Cayugad,
If the 10mm perform that well in a .50 caliber with the 50/40 sabot. Then would a .45 caliber with a 45/40 sabot be just as efficient of a rifle combination for like whitetail deer hunting? I am just thinking of picking up a .45 caliber soon. I just got in several different boxes of the 10mm to experiment with.

Mike
I have no experience with a .45 caliber rifle. Never owned one. I am sure a .45 caliber in a .50 caliber sabot would also do a good job.

On my Knight Disc video they show these (lucky) people hunting out west with Knight .45 caliber Disc rifles. They were doing some shots at distances I could not believe (they must practice a lot). And these pronghorn were dropping right there. So the .45 caliber on deer are a deadly rifle with out a doubt.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:05 PM

These are the blue MMP sabots that we found on the ground
after shooting yesterday. Some of them we found only had
one petal left. I am not saying that is bad or anything, but
I did find it interesting. What do you all think?

Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

trharder

The older MMP blue sabots quite often showed up on the ground with broken petals. Normally - the sabot has already cleared the projectile by the time the petals start breaking. + in your case where you were shooting 110 grains of T7 - that creates a huge velocity from the barrel and then to come to a stop in the air something is going to be stressed.

Like you said normally it is not a problem.

I believe the newer MMP Blue Sabots are a little tougher - I do not see near as many broken as I use when I am shooting.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks,

I am going to pick up one of those caliber rifles up before Fall and then I can comparte it to my .50. The .40 caliber bullet is the bare minimum allowed here in MN for muzzle deer season. Like Cayugad stated the price of the bullets sure is nice. I just got in some of the blue MMP sabots to try out and the temps are finally warming up enough to think of getting out. I have 3 guns now that all need are waiting to be used finally.

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 PM

I've also tried the same combination and have no problem with it.