Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blued or stainless >

blued or stainless

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blued or stainless

Old 02-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default blued or stainless

I wanted to see how many of youout there are die hard one way or the other and why let me know you reasoning. Thanks to everyone on here. And no thanks to bdeather who won't sell me one of his white ultra mags in .504.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default RE: blued or stainless

Not a diehard, Savage, but do like stainless. It cleans up easier and is more forgiving if you don't jump right on a thorough clean-up after shooting. You also don't have to worry about wearing through the blueing; scrapes, etc. can be cleaned up with a little scotch brite. Short term moisture isn't a problem and I think stainless trigger mechanisms break-in/smooth-out quicker and become nicer overall than chrome moly.

That said, most of my rifles, CF and BP, are blued. I think they look a little better, shoot a little better (but not always), and are stronger. I think it's easier for the barrel makers to make a good Chrome-Moly barrel than make a good stainless one.

But three of my favorites; a Redhawk, a Security Six and a Greyhawk are stainless.
Bob
Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

About 1/3 of mine are stainless partly because my original and my hawkens look more natural blue or brown but I agree with short start they are much easier to clean the material is denser and has smaller pores it also is more ware resistant. Lee
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I like stainless but really see no problem with a blued barrel. 95% of my rifles are blued and work fine, clean up fine, look beautiful, and are just as easy to take care of in my book.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM

I have both stainless and blue. I see no difference in the way they shoot. Myself I like a blued rifle with a REAL walnut stock in a bolt action. My pre 64 Winchester Model Featherweight in .308 is a masterpiece in my opinion. My Omega 50 cal SS with a camo thumbhole is cool looking. My old Ruger Flatop 44 mag is awsome as well as my 6 inch Colt Python in .357. When I hunt bad weather with a CF rifle I grab my SS Remington Model 700 DM .270. Way to many choices!!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Stainless is better but not enough to justify the extra cash. I am perfectly fine with blued.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I like the looks of a blued barrel in a nice wood stock myself even with modern guns.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

For rough conditions I likeSS but I really like a trad rifles in brown or blue. Don't think I'm a good enough shooter to be able to tell if blue or SS is better than the other.
My only SS rifles are BP inlines and I have a 44 Redhawk too. Everything else I own in including my WWI 1911, colt diamondback 22, my well used LH model 700, .270, from 1974 are all blued. That rifle has been from FL to NY in harse conditions and still real nice.
SHills

Old 02-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Spike

With the exception of traditional flintlocks...IMO, stainless is much nicer looking, and much easier to keep looking nice. As far as shooting goes,I have both, and not cannot tell any difference in accuracy.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 AM

I much prefer stainless and synthetic stocks. I have hunted some nasty weatherand my mind is much more at ease with that combo. I do own blued guns with wood stocks but they don't get out near as much, mainly when the conditions are nice.

Quick Reply: blued or stainless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.