Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lets go hunting

Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lets go hunting

Alaska moose. i'm not sure about the load. I would be here asking for advice.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Here is a curious question. And I understand that according to where you live, it could make a big influence on your choice simply because you already hunt some of the animals which would be considerd. I am refering to such critters as;all the bear family, cat family, deer family, elk, moose, antelope, hog, turkey, etc....

If you were given a dream hunt of a life time. What animal would you want to hunt?Why do youchoose this animal? Whatmuzzleloader load and projectile would you like to use?

Any game animal found in North America is fair game, so put your hunting hats on and give this some thought.

Moose in Newfoundland, with a Savage 10ML. Not selected a bullet or load yet. May get to do that some day for about $4500. Or if I had $10K or $12K, I would hunt with Jim Shokey in one of his Canada places he writes about. Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Alaska moose.
Ditto for me!Camera, Tripod andmy Kentucky rifle and I'd be set.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Elk for me...never hunted them...I'd take my .54 caliber flintlock that I made...120 grains FF Goex, topped by hornets nesting and a home cast .530 ball wrapped in a .018 patch...

I've done the turkey thing...Can't be beat...Back in 1979 I was in VA, working for John Deere...Called in a tom with a wingbone call that I had made...Using a Bob Watts custom .45 caliber flintlock and 50 grains fff....Called him into about 35 yards and let him have it....Dang, I wish rifles were legal to hunt turkeys in NC....Oh, yea....That was my first turkey ever....
Hunting elk with a traditional flintlock would indeed be an excellent adventure. It would make the hunt most exciting. We are not allowed to hunt turkey with a rifle either. Do you shoot for their head or try and take them through the heart, when you hunt with a rifle?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I've hunted moose in Canada with a center fire and it was a wonderful trip. Even though I got skunked, and about froze to dead (honestly .. I mean almost bought the big one). We worked hard for seven days but never actually saw a moose. We heard moose crashing ahead of us, we tracked moose, we could hear them hit the lake and swim away as we island hopped, but running through the brush up there (on crutches, with a leg in a cast, against doctor's and guides advise) is hard to do. Still just being there in the middle of now where was great. With a muzzleloader might be a real adventure. It will have to be considered.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I held at the top of the wing on that one....
Old 02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I held at the top of the wing on that one....
So the ball was simply trying to break it down and shock it them... I was reading your post and thinking of all the turkey I have shot with a shotgun, and of course I shoot for the head and neck. The way that head can move around, I did not figure you were shooting for the head.

thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

I would love to go after the Alaskan Moose in Canada, just something about a couple tons of energy and massive horns thats gets me going. Last time I checked the hunt was going for $10,000. As far as the gun/load I would surly have to buy a new rifle so If I'm spending that much on the hunt I might as well by the TC Pro Hunter and load it with the 250 grain bonded Shockwaves with 100 grains of loose Triple 7. I beleive this load will take anything on earth and if I happen to get close and miss I guess I could use my TC contender sidearm as a follow up with a shot. I would love to have a set of 10' antlers on my wall, the question is where and how it would actually get into the house. I would have to purchase an additional freezer with all the meat as well.

My other hunt would be for black bear in New Brunswick with my dad as I hear they have the largest bears. The same gun and load would also work. That hunt was much less but more than I can afford with a wife and two kids.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have the privelage of living in Alberta where I get to hunt elk, deer, moose, black bear, sheep and Antelope. What I would love to hunt is a Griz with a Hawken 54 in BC or Alaska. They have put a moretoreum on griz hunts in Alberta until they get an accurate count.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have shot a bear in Canada with the bow. Shot a turkey with my bow on the farm, also shot one with the 243 on the farm. Have shot lots of bucks on the farm and UP with a bow and center fire.
I would like to take one friend and hunt bulls onlyelk on thePigeon River State Forest with my 700Ml 54 cal. Next would be an antelope in Montana, for that any of my BP rifles would suit me.

Al

Quick Reply: Lets go hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.