Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Butch's Bore Shine? >

Butch's Bore Shine?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Butch's Bore Shine?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Butch's Bore Shine?

Getting back to Butches Bore Shine I just cleaned a 17 HMR and a 220 Swift using the BBS. If u use a copper jacketed bullet this stuff works! The 17 HMR had 223 rounds thru it and it cleaned up like new. They recommend to clean thr 17 HMR bore only when the groups open up. I have shot 6 Yoted so far with this tack driver. The Swift I clean after every shooting session. As far as BP I really don't know what it's effects are. I used a bunch of JB Bore Compound ona 50 cal Rem 700, Knight BK 92 and a new Omega. ThenI used BBS and the bore shines like a mirror.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Butch's Bore Shine is a great product. It will really take the fowling out of a barrel excellent. J-B Bore Paste is a cleaner to remove copper, lead, plastic, and any other fowling that might accumulate in the barrel. It will also take light rust off in the bore and leave it a nice shine. Be sure and put a good oil down the bore after using it because you have removed any seasoning that was in there. In fact they say to put the Bore paste into a bore, after you oil it first.
Gee, I have used it for modern smokeless powder weapons, but never for BP guns. So, it is OK for cleaning ML's too??
Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I use Very Hot soap and water to clean the barrel, and boiling water to flush the barrel and have never had flash rust. Of couse, I have leather gloves one, and once the barrel is flushed, I dry patch it and then run sheath through it. I've checked them later but never found even a hint of rust.Once the rifle is cool then I put the rifle back together and everythingstays just fine until the next time I shoot.
I clean my ML's exactly the same way as this, and have never had flash rust either. Maybe whether you get flash rust or not depends on what kind of steel the barrel is made from?????
Old 02-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

The kind of steel in the barrel? Interesting thought, but I have all brands of rifles and they are all cleaned the same way and with the same results. As for that Butch's Bore Shine, I went and checked my supply and see I have two different kinds???

My favorite cleaners are; (llooking at my cleaning shelves)

[ul][*]Birchwood Casey #77[*]Butch's Bore Shine[*]Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine[*]Black Off -Rusty Duck[*]Breakfree CLP[*]J-B Bore Paste[*]Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber[*]Isopropyl Alcohol[*]Soap and Water[/ul]
I wonder if there is a difference between the Bottle of Butch's Bore Shine and the Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. The bottle that states Black Powder is plastic and it looks more like an eye catcher then an actual label. I guess I will have to check the different on line stores and see....

Old 02-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

dave, i used to wonder about hoppes also..i think they have 3 different kinds of it,regular then they have one that says removes copper and plastic..
Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

That's what I was thinking too.. I tried to compare sku numbers but the bottle does not seem to have one. It also talks about removing copper, and blue patches which indicate copper in the bore. While the black powder one talks about cleaning all kinds of fowling and not having a smell. Open the bottle of Butch's and the smell is very strong... I am thinking they are two different kinds..
Old 02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.lymanproducts.com/butch/Pages/butchbs.html

Looking at the Butch's Bore Shine site.. they are different. It seems the one is specifically designed for Black Powder rifles. I think that is why I bought the large 16oz bottle of the other, thinking I was getting a lot of the other stuff (that I am currently out of) and saving money. Come to think of it, I got the other stuff when I purchased my Lyman Trade Rifle.... That was some good stuff.. At least I found where I can order it.. off that site.