HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Omega Syn Stock Mod ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/177800-omega-syn-stock-mod.html)

oldwun 01-29-2007 08:59 AM

Omega Syn Stock Mod ???

Has anyone had any experience with bedding glass adhering to the Omega syn stock? Someone mentioned at the gun shop that some stock material would not stick to glass bedding . I plan on doing some work on mine and I would like to know if I am headed towards trouble.

MLKeith 01-29-2007 09:04 AM

RE: Omega Syn Stock Mod ???

You might try using shims to lift the barrel out of the action first. My Omega seems to be sensitive to removing and re installing the action so I am looking at the options. I have used Acraglas on one synthetic stock with good results, although it was not an Omega stock. If the shims don't work I will try the Acraglas.

oldwun 01-29-2007 09:35 AM

WhatI am planning on doing is shimimg the bedding blocks and then reinforcing the area surrounding the bedding blocks. They really don't appear to be all that stout.

frontier gander 01-29-2007 01:16 PM

Oldwun, i got your shims out in the mail so you should be getting them in 3-4 days. MO Archer, i also got yours out at the same time.

Just start off with 2 shims, and do the paper test, add more if the paper doesnt run to the first lug.

MO Archer, you may have to remove some material off the inside of the stock area, if you see ANY material touching the barrel, mark that area and remove it with a file or sandpaper. I had to do this with my x-150. Just take your time and make sure you get it all clean along the barrel.

Make sure you put the same amount of shims under each lug. Once you get it to float, i took my shims back out and put a couple drops of rubber cement glue to hold them in place. When you torque the bolts down, think of your breechplug, Tighten it by hand and then back off and just snug it up, it doesnt need a lot of pressure. Let me know how it all turns out.

Jon

oldwun 01-29-2007 02:13 PM

Frontier Gander.....I will keep u informed as to how the shims work out. I am not sure when I will get back out to the range. Some of my CF rifles shoot better floated. I have a 220 swift in a heavy barrel Ruger with twin set Canjar triggers that like 3 lb of pressure up front under the barrel. That is what makes any kind of shooting fun. I must admit at 69 I love the one shot dal with my Matthews Switchback bow and my 3 ML. Thanks again

Coyotemark 01-29-2007 04:09 PM

I bedded my synthetic stock using JB Weld. It worked great!

sabotloader 01-29-2007 05:19 PM

oldwun

I do plan on working on the Omega stock this week in the shop, just have been to busy to get started plus the shop is an absolute mess.

I still plan on blocking in between recoil cups, to stop movement both ways.

I would suggest being kinda carefull with shimming the Omega synthetic stock, the cups are so shallow now lifting the lugs from the bottom could be a problem.

If this block thought works, shimming and floating would work very easy. But again I will mention floating is not always the best answer.