HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Trade Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/177711-trade-rifle.html)

mcawful 01-28-2007 04:26 PM

Trade Rifle

Thanks alleyooper, for the link to the photo site. I'm dumb when it comes to that kind of stuff.
Got my new Trade Rifle in .50 percussion.
Love my new sweetie, ain't she purty?

frontier gander 01-28-2007 05:48 PM

RE: Trade Rifle

beautiful lookin rifle. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

alleyyooper 01-28-2007 05:55 PM

She is a beaut. I think the wood grain on the stock is out standing. Does it have a set trigger?
Going to shoot RB?

:)Al

cayugad 01-28-2007 06:13 PM

That is a beautiful rifle. The Trade Rifle does not have a set trigger, but their single trigger breaks real clean and crisp. I actually love the trigger on my Trade Rifle and triggers are something I am very fussy about..

Have you shot it yet?

mcawful 01-28-2007 06:48 PM

Thanks guys. Haven't shot it yet. Weather has been uncooperative and it's gettin me steamed.[:@]Too much rain lately. The range is a soggy mess and it's closed for maintenance tomorrow and tuesday. My next chance will be next sunday.

When I got it, it was pretty dull and the grain wasn't all that pretty. Took the barrel off, and rubbed it down real good with linseed oil. Really made the grain stand out.

frontier gander 01-28-2007 06:56 PM

oooh i dont even want to hear the rain excuse. You think the mountain men stayed inside thier huts/ under their blankets when it was raining/snowing? Heck no! Get your butt out there and shoot! :D

Make sure you rub the linseed oil into the wood really good with your hands, and make sure your hands are burning hot with friction too. I did the ramrod to the .36 rifle im building and after 12 coats the ramrod is so smooth it feels like plastic. Just get your hands good and hot and keep rubbing and working it into the wood. Use the heal of your palm area too, i find i get lots of heat using that part of the hand.

mcawful 01-28-2007 07:10 PM

Yeah the rain wussed me out. I spent enough time in it when I was in the service, I figure now I have a choice, :D.

I rubbed the trade rifle and the ramrod down. Then made a short starter and rubbed that down, then took the grips of the SAA and rubbed that down again. I went in the house and got a cup of coffee, sat down at the table next to my wife, she sniffed a couple of times and said,"you stink'.
Gotta love linseed oil. I'm gonna start dabbing it behind my ears in the morning.

Are you building a kit, or acquiring different pieces and doing it yourself? I really would like to builld a .36 Pennsylvania or Kentucky style.

frontier gander 01-28-2007 07:22 PM

building it from scratch. I had a stock built for it but my dog broke it... I didnt think his head was that strong :D.. But now i found curly maple i can build off of! $40 for low grade so i figured i'd start with that and hone my skills on. I may even restock my tradtions flintlock in the best grade curly maple i can find. Love that wood.

mcawful 01-28-2007 08:10 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. You are obviously more talented in that area than I. I'd have to go the kit route.

alleyyooper 01-29-2007 07:02 AM

:D:DEveryday thing at my house, the wife saying you stink.
You smell like a wet dog or dog, smell like 2 stroke exhust, smell like gun smoke, smell like oil, smell like corn huskers and you smell like onions or garlic :D:D.
:eek:She still loves me I think, as she hasn't changed the locks on the doors yet.
Ya, no need to go out in the rain at our age, easy to catch some thing and to hard to get rid of it.

:) Al