Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I hate open sights - part 2 >

I hate open sights - part 2

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I hate open sights - part 2

Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I hate open sights - part 2

Just returned fron the trio north and back... I did pick a TC fiber Optic rear site and a new front blade - BUT, I also picked up a peep tang sight...

What is the good, bad, and ugly about the Tang sight - thought I would ask before I put it on... Also kept my reciept so I could return if you guys shoot it down....
Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I hate open sights - part 2

The first thing is, if you put the tang T/C Peep on the rifle, every rifle barrel that goes on that stock has tohave the rear sight removed to use the peep. Also, each time you switch from your .54 caliber barrel to the GMB, you might have to re sight in the rifle as the front site position will not be the same.

Next, if you hunt deep woods, in the afternoon you will find getting target/sight acquisition hard to do. You have to take thepeep out and ghost ring it, so be sure and know how to shoot with both ghost ring and peep aperture.

I have a T/C Peep sight on one of my Renegades and I simply dedicated the barrel on that rifle to that rifle only. I do not like them when lighting gets low. On open fields they are fine. If snow is on the ground they are good. On target ranges they are good. For stalking, use the ghost ring.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 PM

I don't like them much myself.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

The first thing is, if you put the tang T/C Peep on the rifle, every rifle barrel that goes on that stock has tohave the rear sight removed to use the peep. Also, each time you switch from your .54 caliber barrel to the GMB, you might have to re sight in the rifle as the front site position will not be the same.
Got another stock for the 54 - so no barrel switching...

Next, if you hunt deep woods, in the afternoon you will find getting target/sight acquisition hard to do. You have to take thepeep out and ghost ring it, so be sure and know how to shoot with both ghost ring and peep aperture.
I do have some peep experiance, my grandfathers 94 30-30 has one and I use to use it years ago.. and then in high school and while serving in the Navy I was on the rife team (22's) and we use peeps there also with apetures in the front sight - I think we were shooting Winchester 52's or something like that... I kinda figured for hunting ghost ringing or possible boring the peep out to a larger apeture. It is a toss up for me. I am also going to bed a section of the barrel to eliminate any left right movement when removing the barrel and re-installing it.

Is it a big adjustment to go from the peep to ghost ring? I had a ghost ring on the Rem shotgun for turkey for awhile - can not say I ever used it though and I broke it a year or two ago - never replaced it...

Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Not so much a difference in accuracy when you go to the ghost ring, but your eye will automatically notice the larger hole. A trick I learned is to aim off the front sight. If you put the front in the peep and concentrate on it, your eye will normally automatically center that ring on the front sight and target.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Thanks Dave...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a peep on my Hawkins now. I had stopped shooting it because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn inside with the doors shut.
I got the peep sight from Longbow bowhunter and I now shoot the Hawkins and it makes me wonder what took me so long to change to one.
I removed the apture and just use the ghost ring for every thing so I don't have a problem getting use to the different openings.
If you have a fiber optic front bead it will help a dusk. Myself I stop hunting when I can not tell if the deer is a buck or doe with my nakid eye at 100 yards.
After useing it some you will be amazed at how fast you automaticly line every thing up.
A lot of guys who use them tell you to drill the apture out and go with that.

Al
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Hoe about this a peep rib sight for omega and encore. Peep is behind scope and built in to scope mount. You just remove your scope and peep is there and ready 59.00 available from Arthur Brown company. It looks interesting
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, I always refuse to install them on a hook type breach as I have found them to be noticably les accurate than a barrel mounted peep like the Williams or TC. Lee
Old 01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

OK... does anybody want to buy a brand new tang sight?

The no's have outweighed and carried - I put the regular TC barrel siight on... The more I thought about Dave's low light concerns the more I worried about it... Low light is the biggest problem I have with my eyes... so I made the attitude adjustment and put on the old stand by.

I am hopingto shoot it Monday... I also found what I think is going to be an excellent open sight target. Should be really easy to get the over/under sight picture. It came in two different sizes, one size big enough for 400 yards, and the other one short range to 100 yard with open or 400 with a scope... I hope to shoot them Monday...

Quick Reply: I hate open sights - part 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.