Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I hate open sights - part 2 >

I hate open sights - part 2

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I hate open sights - part 2

Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Default RE: I hate open sights - part 2

Good luck shooting with your new sights. I tried those tang peeps a long tine ago when shooting my Sharps. They were required in the shoots we used to go to. I never did get comfortable with them. I agree with cayaqad that when the light is low they can be difficult to see thru.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Just returned fron the trio north and back... I did pick a TC fiber Optic rear site and a new front blade - BUT, I also picked up a peep tang sight...

What is the good, bad, and ugly about the Tang sight - thought I would ask before I put it on... Also kept my reciept so I could return if you guys shoot it down....
My rear Fiber Optic sight is blurry, so I am going to this V-Peep from RMC sports to correct this problem. Anyone have any experience with this sight? Only $11 for just the sight cause I have the front sight.
Chap Gleason Va

Old 01-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Spike

Sabotloader,
Methinks you're giving up on the peep sighttoo quickly. Let me pass along some tips that might help.

I've got tang peeps on a GM barreled Hawken, a Greyhawk, and a GPRas well as a peep on one of my System 1s (remember them?) and a couple of Marlin 1894s. The Hawken and Greyhawk are my pets and I got a deer with each this year.

One of the problems with the T/C sight is that the aperture (peep hole)it is supplied with is far too small and lighting difficulties will wash out the sight picture (either low light or bright light from behind). It is quite precise, however, and good for use at the range.

The ghost ring, on the other hand, is too imprecise for 100yd shots. For 50 yarders it's OK, but beyond that you start to question what you're doing.

The answer to this is the Williams Regular 3/8" x .093" aperture which will screw right into the T/C (or Lyman) sight in place of the stock aperture. This gives you a more open aperture that holds up better in poor light. For even better poor light performance, the 3/8" x .125" can be used...though, again, you're sacrificing precision with that big an aperture; at least it seems that way. You can get them at Midway. Part Number for the .093 is 824-695, for the .125 it's 917-413. Cost is $6.29 each. Just received a couple more from Midway a few days ago. Realized the Greyhawk still had the stock aperture while I was stalking a buck this Fall. Setting sun behind me washed out the sight picture. Went with the ghost ring to shoot him; luckily shot was only about 50 yards.

Cayugad's comment about barrel switching is true. The rear sight on each barrel must come off and the gun sighted in with the new barrel UNLESSthe barrel hasa Lyman Folding Leaf rear sight, or something similar, and has been previously sighted-in using the open sights.

Before shooting,"sight-in" the aperture sight on the bench. Put the gun in a gun vise, leave the rear sight up andposition the aperture sight (elevation & windage) so that the correct open sight picture (front bead in rear notch)is perfectly centered in the aperture. If you can get a clear picture of the lined up open sights, go with your tightest aperture for best precision. Once you've got front, rear and aperture sights all lined up, just fold down the rear sight and go hunting.

You may recall that the System 1 barrels were provided with folding leaf rear sights. When I put an aperture sight on mine, I found I could do a very good job of sighting in the aperture on the benchusing the open sight picture. It worked so well, I set upthe GPR the same way.

Well, it might be worth a try, anyway. I had to go this way because of aging eyes. Worked good for me but YMMV. Oh yeah, a fiber optic front sight in the .093 aperture gives a dynamite sight picture....but the fiber optics don't help in low light as much as you'd think.
Bob
Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is also a Hunter's Peep. It is a peep with a bit larger apperature but it is surrounded with a brass ring. It is great with low lighting conditions. I have one on my 94. I don't know if it would have the proper threads for the sight you are talking about. if not then maybe you could drill out the apperature a bit and give it a coat of gold paint????

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=641211

Old 02-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Just returned fron the trio north and back... I did pick a TC fiber Optic rear site and a new front blade - BUT, I also picked up a peep tang sight...

What is the good, bad, and ugly about the Tang sight - thought I would ask before I put it on... Also kept my reciept so I could return if you guys shoot it down....
My rear Fiber Optic sight is blurry, so I am going to this V-Peep from RMC sports to correct this problem. Anyone have any experience with this sight? Only $11 for just the sight cause I have the front sight.
Chap Gleason Va

yes, i have experience with RMC v-peep..ok, here we go..

i like the GREEN front bead.not red..i bought a set of the extra fiber things for front sight..

next,i used peep sights long ago, young eyes..but as we get older ,our eyes cant see things CLOSE..if you mount your peep close to your eye, it will be blurry..

the rmc peep mounts out where the original sights mount..thats good but mine was still blurry,not real bad..

rmc will tell you that its not necessary that the peep be clear ONLY front bead..thats true but ole sproul likes both to be clear..

so, i went to gunsmith , i moved the RMC peep 12 inchs down barrel towards beadand had him drill hole and mount it there..

if you do this, i had him drill the v-peep hole bigger because the front bead fills hole as you get closer to it..

rmc if you call them have a bigger insert for the v-peep also,so you dont need to have it drilled out..

you never want a fiber optic on rear,only FRONT BEAD..

you can test where the rear v-peep should be mounted by moving it from the original rear sight location towards the front bead,you will see it get clear,thats spot..

mine was about 12 inchs down barrel from the origianal location of rear sight..

if you dont like set-up,just plug hole with screw from gunsmith and mount it back in the regular spot..

no way i can mount a peep sight back near your eye, thats place they are made to go but its terrible for me, i cant see it that close to my eye but did when i was young..

gunsmith here that is real good at things like this, when i called him to ask if this was right way to mount the peep, he said YEP MOVE IT TOWARDS THE FRONT BEAD..

some will say, you cant get rear peep to be clear and front sight/target clear..

that you only need to see the front bead clear..well, i shoot a LOT better when i can see rear sight and front clear..

i know my groups are better this way..

Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: short_start

Sabotloader,
Methinks you're giving up on the peep sighttoo quickly. Let me pass along some tips that might help.

I've got tang peeps on a GM barreled Hawken, a Greyhawk, and a GPRas well as a peep on one of my System 1s (remember them?) and a couple of Marlin 1894s. The Hawken and Greyhawk are my pets and I got a deer with each this year.

One of the problems with the T/C sight is that the aperture (peep hole)it is supplied with is far too small and lighting difficulties will wash out the sight picture (either low light or bright light from behind). It is quite precise, however, and good for use at the range.

The ghost ring, on the other hand, is too imprecise for 100yd shots. For 50 yarders it's OK, but beyond that you start to question what you're doing.

The answer to this is the Williams Regular 3/8" x .093" aperture which will screw right into the T/C (or Lyman) sight in place of the stock aperture. This gives you a more open aperture that holds up better in poor light. For even better poor light performance, the 3/8" x .125" can be used...though, again, you're sacrificing precision with that big an aperture; at least it seems that way. You can get them at Midway. Part Number for the .093 is 824-695, for the .125 it's 917-413. Cost is $6.29 each. Just received a couple more from Midway a few days ago. Realized the Greyhawk still had the stock aperture while I was stalking a buck this Fall. Setting sun behind me washed out the sight picture. Went with the ghost ring to shoot him; luckily shot was only about 50 yards.

Cayugad's comment about barrel switching is true. The rear sight on each barrel must come off and the gun sighted in with the new barrel UNLESSthe barrel hasa Lyman Folding Leaf rear sight, or something similar, and has been previously sighted-in using the open sights.

Before shooting,"sight-in" the aperture sight on the bench. Put the gun in a gun vise, leave the rear sight up andposition the aperture sight (elevation & windage) so that the correct open sight picture (front bead in rear notch)is perfectly centered in the aperture. If you can get a clear picture of the lined up open sights, go with your tightest aperture for best precision. Once you've got front, rear and aperture sights all lined up, just fold down the rear sight and go hunting.

You may recall that the System 1 barrels were provided with folding leaf rear sights. When I put an aperture sight on mine, I found I could do a very good job of sighting in the aperture on the benchusing the open sight picture. It worked so well, I set upthe GPR the same way.

Well, it might be worth a try, anyway. I had to go this way because of aging eyes. Worked good for me but YMMV. Oh yeah, a fiber optic front sight in the .093 aperture gives a dynamite sight picture....but the fiber optics don't help in low light as much as you'd think.
Bob
what is needed is front bead that is lighted but real small like the fiber ones..if someone invented a real small lighted front bead, that would be something..you ever see those lighted sticks in green that kids shake and they glow real bright green..

i wonder why they could not make that in a fiber optic,but you would have to shake your gun to get it to work and glow for 15 minutes..but maybe you could light it without shaking it..
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntaway-I agree with you. I use the hunter's peep on my peep sights. I think the peep sights are better than regular open sights. I also dislike the fiber-optics. I do not like the set-up. And IMO they are too flimsy. Go with the peep and buy a few extra apertures. Experiment a little, and I am sure you will find something that works.

I have one of the EABCO set ups. Where the peep is on the back of the scope base. I like it alot. Tom.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman, Thanks for your wisdom on this. I will first try it where it is drilled by TC, and if that don't work I will find a Gunsmith to drill me a couple of holes. Very good info. Thanks Chap Gleason
Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader,With the regular barrel mounted peep if you get into a low light condition just take the change able dish off [they unscrew] and use as a ghost ring. I bored one out to 3/16 because I like the dish to be there but when I was experimenting with it I was suprised how accurate it is used as a ghost ring. Lee
Old 02-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

yes, i have experience with RMC v-peep..ok, here we go..

i like the GREEN front bead.not red..i bought a set of the extra fiber things for front sight..

OK. I got the RMC peep on and it looks good not blurry, kinda big for a peep hole, but I will try it. I agree with you about the red. I aimed at a black pot on my neighbor's porch and couldn't see the red against a black background. I think the the green would be better. Did you get the green fibre optic from RMC? Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: I hate open sights - part 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.