Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for a BP around $250 >

Looking for a BP around $250

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a BP around $250

Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM

Default RE: Looking for a BP around $250

After looking at the Cabela's catalog, I think that the sabots and bullets come together. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okiejaco

After looking at the Cabela's catalog, I think that the sabots and bullets come together. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
your correct they do come together, however >>Easy loading<< sabots and bullets don't come together.there are only a couple, I use the Harvester Crushed rib, they work great in both TC and Knight. Chap Gleason VA
Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM

I like the sabots that come on the TC's. They load fine in my gun. I always use the ones that comeon thebullets.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I like the sabots that come on the TC's. They load fine in my gun. I always use the ones that comeon thebullets.
I >>use to<< also just use the sabot with the bullet, however if they load real real tight, then it is worthless to struggle trying to push one down, therefore use a better sabot designed for easy loading. Get 2 or 3 different brand guns and you will see what I mean. Crushed rib always works, other sabots don't. That is my experience. Sabotloader uses MMP 24s I believe, and he likes them for easy loading. Less costly to do it your way, and if you have 1 gun and they load fine, don't change. But if your having loading problems do 2 things:
1) swab between shots even in field
2) get a sabot that loads easy.

I now do both of these things and my accuracy and confidence have improved. I too have a goal of shooting 2" groups. I think load, bullet, rifle bedding and solid rest all affect accuracy very very much. Of all those I believe bullet performance is number 1, 'cause if it won't kill quickly, then it is worthless. I like the term that I learned here on the forum "boom flop", that is what I am shooting for, as I know you are.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM

I will probably get some TC 300 grain xtp to start with. Then go from there.If they don't shot good, I will get something else. I may be back on here in a month looking for more ideas. You guys have been a lot of help. Thanks for everything.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:03 PM

I will probably get some TC 300 grain xtp to start with. Then go from there.If they don't shot good, I will get something else.

I guarantee they will. I haven't encountered a gun they don't shoot well in but you never know. You made the right choice in your setup. I hope you're as satisfied asI am.

Please do keep us informed when you get it and let us know what happens with it, how it shoots, etc. I'm excited to hear. Glad to help anytime.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM

I finally got to shoot my new rifle today. I thought I was using 90 grains of pyrodex but it was 95. I shot a few times at 95 then moved to 105. I was using 777 primers and TC 240 grain cheap shot sabots. It was windy and I was shooting at 50 yards. The best group I could get was about 3". All 3 were on a vertical line. Not sure if it is the bullets or me. Probably me, it was my last group and I was getting a little tired. Reading all the adice on this forum made everything go off smooth. I wasn't sure about the best way to clean after I was finished. I used my bore cleaner and then some bore butter. I figured I would clean it good before I shoot it. I hope I did the right thing. I did take out the breech plug and clean the threads good. Any thing I missed? Will the 300 grain xtp bullets shoot any better than the cheap shots? Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

okiejaco

Look at my barrel procedure in this post... that is what I do and I am not saying it is the best or the only way but it sure has worked well for me...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2055068

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 PM

what gun did u get?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 PM

I got the TC Omega. I sure like it so far.