Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for a BP around $250 >

Looking for a BP around $250

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a BP around $250

Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 PM

Default RE: Looking for a BP around $250

That's a great deal! I would go for it. The Omega is a gun you can get for a reasonable price and use forever. You won't be disappointed--I guarantee.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okiejaco

I am looking for a decent muzzle loader around $250. I have been on gunboker.com looking. I like the Knight Revolution, Knight DiscandTC Black Diamond. I haven't seen much on here about these guns andI am looking for pros and constohelp me decide. I also like theCVA Kodiak. I will be going to the gun store tohandle each gun, just looking for your opinions. Thanks for the information.
Sounds like you have settled on the Omega. I have one and it is a great gun.I hunted the first year with open sights on the omega, and I think I got 4 or 5 deer. Using,Knight 240g sabots. I now use Nosler Partitions 300g HG (hand gun), but they are $49 for 50 so I am going to Speer Gold Dot. I use 777 loose and harvester Crushed rib sabots, with 100g of loose. I have a 3x9 scope on it, Bushnell Elite 3200. Hornady XTPs are also great at about $11 for 50 and they shoot wellalso. Actually almost everything that I have tried in the Omega shoots great.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 PM

Actually almost everything that I have tried in the Omega shoots great.

Same here, but some are better than others. I like the 300 grain bullets and 110 grains of Pyrodex in mine. I tried PB's and they were pretty good--in 240 grain. I also tried 230 grain bullets and they were decent enough for me. It's hard to have a really bad load in the TC's. My favorite bullets for it are the SW's or the XTP's.

Let us know what you get. I'm interested to hear.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

Actually almost everything that I have tried in the Omega shoots great.

Same here, but some are better than others. I like the 300 grain bullets and 110 grains of Pyrodex in mine. I tried PB's and they were pretty good--in 240 grain. I also tried 230 grain bullets and they were decent enough for me. It's hard to have a really bad load in the TC's. My favorite bullets for it are the SW's or the XTP's.
How does your Omega shoot conicals, likemaxiball, maxi-hunters, GPs, or powerbelts? If you ever try them, do report your findings.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:14 PM

The gun guy told my Dad that stainless is the way to go with black powder guns. He is going to make a deal for the stainless Omega.He said not to worry about the money, he would take care of it.He is always having me do wood working projects, so I guess that willhelp pay for it. Thanks for all the help.When it starts warming up some, I will take your suggestions on bullets andstart shooting. Do any of you shoot the pellets? I have a 3x 9 Simmons thatI willuse, not much of an open sight shooter. Whatbrand of primers do you guys suggest? If anybody wants to find prettydecent prices on gun then go towww.gunbrokers.com.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 PM

How does your Omega shoot conicals, likemaxiball, maxi-hunters, GPs, or powerbelts? If you ever try them, do report your findings.

I haven't shot any bullets except for sabots and PB's. I have about a hundred bullets I wanna try but don't have themoney for them. That's why I decide to just stick with my XTP's. I've tried them and know they work and are cheaply priced. I wanna test real blackpowder but don't have the money for that either.

The gun guy told my Dad that stainless is the way to go with black powder guns. He is going to make a deal for the stainless Omega.He said not to worry about the money, he would take care of it.He is always having me do wood working projects, so I guess that willhelp pay for it. Thanks for all the help.When it starts warming up some, I will take your suggestions on bullets andstart shooting. Do any of you shoot the pellets? I have a 3x 9 Simmons thatI willuse, not much of an open sight shooter. Whatbrand of primers do you guys suggest? If anybody wants to find prettydecent prices on gun then go towww.gunbrokers.com.

I certainly favored the stainless steel whenI had the Winchester Apex. I would probably get it if I could. I'm perfectly fine with black though. I don't think the camo stockis worth the extra cash--I just buy blue. I think the camo looks cool but isn't practical--it's just a way to get more money.

Buy yourself some Pyrodex, TC Shockwaves or XTP's in 240 or 300 grain, and Winchester Triple Seven or CCI 209 primers. Start with 90 grains Pyrodex and work your way up. See what shoots best in your gun. You can't go wrong with that stuff. It's flawless. My favorite thing to shoot out of mine until further notice is the 300 grain XTP, 110 grains loose Pyrodex, and Triple Seven primers. It will work great on deer as well--I tested it. Sight it in 2 or 3 inches high at 50 yards and it'll impact about right on at 100 yards. I use open sights exclusively myself.

I think the pellets are a great concept but won't use them because of the price. Triple Seven powder should perform great as well as the Pyrodex. Your scope should be great. Make sure and watch your head when you shoot. The scope will wallop you right on your forehead if you're not careful. That's one of the reasons I don't use them.

You made an excellent choice and won't be disappointed. Best of luck to you.

A little extra advice. DO swab quite often. I learned the hard way what a difference constant swabbing can make. Muzzleloading's simple and quite easy if you do things right and take it slow.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Are the Omega synthetic having cracking problems like the Bpi stocks?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gun guy told my Dad that stainless is the way to go with black powder guns. He is going to make a deal for the stainless Omega.
this doesnt mean your out of the woods with rust and maintanance. stainless is better than blued but not all that much from what ive noticed. i say get the gun you like and maybe down the road get it duracoated in camo if you want better rust protection. here are some interesting reads. http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe...de%253Dfaq.php
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

A little extra advice. DO swab quite often. I learned the hard way what a difference constant swabbing can make. Muzzleloading's simple and quite easy if you do things right and take it slow.

Bingo--yes---amen! If you look here, page 37 of 64:

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Omega_Muzzleloader_Manual.pdf

you will find the TC recommended procedure for Sabot bullets in an Omega. I don't think they put this statement in the manual just for the heck of it. Most ML hunters learn from others, and if you learned the wrong thing with regard to shooting and cleaningfrom your hunting buddies, it will produce an inaccurate rifle. So I 2ndoutdoorslover recommendation, but take it one step further, swab between every shot, it can be bore butter (2x) which is what I do, or alcohol swab (2x), or windshield washer fluid followed by a dry patchwhatever---now this will blow you mind---even in the field. So you really have a single shot rifle, forget the speed loaders, those are for folks that miss a lot (:->, just kidding they are convenient loaders), therefore need the speed. Now if your finishing off an animal, sure jam one down and finish it off. Don't relaod, swab the barrel right away and you will be amazed at the amount of fouling that just 2 patches can remove. Makes it so so much easier to load and do consistent shooting.
Chap Gleason VA

Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM

I had a cheap black powder rifle about 10 yrs ago, so I remember a little bit about them. I wasn't aware that you needed to swap between each shot. I do remember that they need a little more care than a regular centerfire rifle. I should get the gun the weekend of the Feb. 17th. By then I will probably have what I need to go out and shoot it.

outdoorlover... I was wondering about setting the scope, so you saved me asking another question. Thanks for the tips on bullets and powder, also. The pellets would be nice but I agree they are a little on the expensive side. My brother has a bp and he told me the same thing about the pellets. Wish they were cheaper. What about Sabots? Any favorites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.