Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

tc

Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tc

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Spiddle.. sorry to hear of your bad experience. My experiences on the other hand with Thompson Center have been so exceptional to my favor that I will continue to purchase the Thompson Center rifles over and over in the future, should I need or desire one.

While I have no desire in their new models like the Omega, Encore, Pro Hunter or any of the others, their older models are still a favorite of mine and on my gun racks.
Amen! They can keep the in-lines!....But,I will stand behind T/C to my grave. They have always been there for any problems ( and very few at that ) that I havehad and I have been buying their rifles since 1974. I know that it sucks that they discontinued theSeneca, Cherokee, Scout,etc, but one friend of mine dropped hisSeneca and broke the stock at the wrist. He contacted T/C and they said that if he would send his rifle back, they would credit him80%off the the cost of a new gun of his choosing. Maybe he was just, BSing me but he opted towatch Ebay and buy a Seneca stock just to get his gun back up and going.....BPS
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Spike

Back in the late '90s after they'd been discontinued, I bought a new Seneca from a shop in Indiana. It had beautiful wood, but had been sitting on the shelf awhile.

Got it home and found problems with the wood around the wedge pin escutcheons. Called T/C to see if they could fix/replace it and got the story about the destroyed tooling and no more parts. But they were more than eager to have me send it back. Offered to send me a new gun: A System 1 with both .32 and .50 barrels.

I was pretty new to muzzleloading at the time, but still sharp enough to know the Seneca was something special. So I said, "No thanks, I'll fix it myself.". It took me a couple of tries but, with the help of Accra-Glas, I managed to do it. Sure glad I did, that gun's a favorite and a joy to shoot. Later on I bought my own System 1 and a full set of barrels.

Their eagerness to get it back surprised me. Thought at the time, the tech on the phone had designs on it. Maybe they just wanted it to provide parts for other folks with Seneca problems.
Bob

Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That E Bay hammer looks just like what is on my T/C Hawkins and Plains Rifle. Knowing how Mfg's like to have parts that work on several models it would surprize me very much if they are not one and the same hammers.
I would call T/C warranty center and question them about that.
I also agree about bidding on the E Bay hammer, having a gun smith modifying one from a Hawkins (if they are not the same)Or welding some how the one that is cracked. I sure would not leave a rifle in a safe just because of a little crack.
I myself will keep buying T/C products as long as they make models I like and that fit my shooting style.
I have not had one problem with the two I own in over 30 years of use for one and nearly 20 years on the other.

Al
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 AM

sorry about the delay, been drop hunting. As to the ? ot what TC offered, nothing. They stated that they did not make this model anymore and there is nothing they could (would) do. Thats all folks!! I did here that TC had atrade in program but they never offered it.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spiddle

sorry about the delay, been drop hunting. As to the ? ot what TC offered, nothing. They stated that they did not make this model anymore and there is nothing they could (would) do. Thats all folks!! I did here that TC had atrade in program but they never offered it.
Spiddle,

Did you win that Seneca hammer in the ebay auction? Don't trade it to T/C. It's a collectors piece now they aren't making them anymore. T/C probably wouldn't be doing you any favors by trading. If you get an opportunity to get a good deal on a lock assembly, I think that would be a great investment to the future of your rifle. They aren't making any more of them, the price can only go up.

I think its time to accept, that if you want to keep your beautiful custom seneca, you don't have a lifetime warranty anymore.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:11 PM

I understand the frustration with TC not having the hammer for your rifle. I believe there are several ML gunsmiths that could make u a new hammer or repair the one u have. I have BSA 30-06 that weighs 5 3/4 pounds and shoots 165 gr handloads like a dream. I had a firing pin problem and a gunsmith made me a new one that actually is better than the one that came in the rifle. If it was meI would find me a gunsmith or a customML builder and that problem would be history.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not sure but it seems to me we once replaced a lock on a Seneca with a Patriot pistol lock so it could be sent back for a repair. Lee