Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit? >

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

ORIGINAL: Pella hunter

frontier gander I am not saying I use 3f t7 in my rifles because I do not ,I use pyrodex select 2f , I use the 3 f in my revolver .What i guess I ment was could you use 3f in rifles & is there some sort of conversion to use it.
I shoot 3f powder out of my rifles all the time and actually perfer it. With the finer grade you get a faster burn time. Depending on the powder there are some different factors to take into consideration.

If you shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex RS for instance and want to shoot Pyrodex P insted. Load 90 grain. There is about a 10% difference between the two.

In Triple Se7en powders the actual pressures develped between the 2f & 3f is not as major as you might think. While there is some difference, I only adjust 10% and then let the rifle tell me the load to shoot. In my CVA I never exceed 90 grains of this powder.

Black Mag3 is already a grade 3f powder so you need to adjust down your load from Pyrodex almost 20%. Black Mag is a very powerful powder and very clean burning.

Swiss, Schwitzen, and Kik are all a little hotter burning then Goex. I rank Swiss the hottest of them all. When I shoot Swiss, I am very careful of the grade.When I am shooting 3f grade, I back the charge off 25% from a standard Pyrodex load. Swiss hasa lot of power.

Like I said, I personally like 3f powder but some rifles do not. All you can do is experiment with them and see what the rifle likes. Just start low and work your way up.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Since no one will come out and admit what Chucky says may be true, and since the lawyers do such a good job of hiding the truth, it will probably take a Kennedy blowing off a hand or face to ever get the truth out.

I havent looked real close at the Spanish guns lately. Years ago though, I was alot more impressed with what I felt in the TC side locks than the imports.

I'm no expert nor a metalurgist. Wish we could get one on here or someone could find some reference info and post some links for us. There has got to be some intelligent writing and research on what it takes to blow up a barell using our powders. I can understand the first shot ungluing a flaw. Is it a reasonable assumption that repeated firings of mag or mag plus loads will creat stress that will some day cause a rupture? Does there have to be a flaw in the steel first? Which barrels are more susceptible? There are a number of ways to make a barrel. I'm sure alot of this is out there. Maybe in a retired barell makers head or writings.

Then, what is this I hear about pressure spikes. Are these random? or common? What creates them?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Cayugad,

I was planning on shooting the Swiss or Goex from that.32 caliber. What would be a good starting level for trialing? I think that Toby guy was using 11 grains of Pinnacle. Would I need to drop the Swiss charge down then to around 9 grains? I am guessing that the 3F is the powder that this caliber will require? According to the Track of the Wolf website powder listings.

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Most rifles of .45 caliber and under all shoot the 3f powder anyway. That's because they fowl out so much faster then the larger caliber rifles. I would start with 10 grains and work up from there. I am sure they will give you some load recommendations with the rifle. Stick with them and you should be fine.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks,
I need to make a trip over to Elk River, Track of the Wolfin the next few days. I am going to pick up some 2F & 3F in Goex and Swiss to try out in both guns.(3F for the .32) Then I can decide if it is worth the extra $8.00 for the Swiss, at least I don't need to pay the HazMat fee. My friend also told me that Cabela's in Rogers, MNhas some black powder but I don't remember the brand. I don't think that it was the Goex and I know it wasn't Swiss. I will finally be getting the Disc out of lay-away next Friday, about time.

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 PM

All I think is that more CVA's have blown up than any brand so why take that chance? Everyone knows that they have had many barrels blow up and harm people. I have never heard of it with a TC. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not. CVA has had the most blow up of any ML company.

You know the net is a wonderful thing. I know because of it that CVA even recalled all of their guns in '98 or something--for barrels blowing up. I was reading a hunting magazine from back then and saw a recall notice.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

grizzly 2The main difference is the type and grade of steel used to make the barrel; I dought if any one will say much about it because the rules here say we should not knock any brands and it looks like you are doing that even if you dont intend to.
HD Road King, I used 25 ge of 4f in mine thats what it shot good with.
Lee

Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

All I think is that more CVA's have blown up than any brand so why take that chance? Everyone knows that they have had many barrels blow up and harm people. I have never heard of it with a TC. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not. CVA has had the most blow up of any ML company.

You know the net is a wonderful thing. I know because of it that CVA even recalled all of their guns in '98 or something--for barrels blowing up. I was reading a hunting magazine from back then and saw a recall notice.
Whether what you say is true, I could not say. I do not have the facts or statistics to support such a claim.Nor would I make one without the actual data. Again, any problems that might occur are 99% of the time settled out of court with gag orders. There might very well be some brands like Thompson Center or Knight which had the same problem. The way the courts are, we'd probably never know.

Back in the 90's there was a recall on the Apollo model. The breech plugs were blowing out and coming back into the face of the shooter, as I understood. CVA at that time due to litigation was forced into Chapter 11 and sold. Black Powder Inc. (BPI) bought the company as well as some other companies like Winchester, New Frontier, and others. My understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, they do not actually make the rifles. They assemble them and service them. The parts come from all over the world, which seems to be the modern trend these days.

What ever the make, load the rifles to the recommendations of the manufacturer, use common sense, and pay attention to what your doing. You should have a safe and rewarding experience no matter what rifle you select.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 PM

I'm sorry ifI was bashing. That's the info I have and could gather it and post if you would like.

Again, I'm sorry ifI pissed people off.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have a good friend that sometimes I think has more money than common sense. Anyway about two weeks ago we were talking about the quality of muzzleloaders and the TC and BPI came up as it usually does. He owns an Omega, Encore and he just bought the Pro Hunter. As you know I own the Black Diamond and Omega. I also own the Optima and Apex and two Whites which are the best muzzleloaders a person can own, just kidding but they are my favorite for several reasons. He said that a BPI product could not handle the real stout loads that a TC could. I said I beleived they could but I had no real proof neither did he. Well the next day he calls me and says hey lets see what these BPI guns can handle. He had gone to Wal Mart and bought a CVA Wolf for a very good price. We took it out with a tire and some bungee cords to test this spanish barrel. We secured it with the cords and tied a piece of rope to the trigger and proceeded to fire it behind his truck about 50 feet. The load was 175grns of Triple7 ff grade. Yes that is not a misprint 175grns of Triple7. The bullet was the hornandy 250grn XTPwith the Knight high pressure sabot.We were using winchester primers. After 30 shots the gun showed no visible signs of stress. Now I love all my guns for different reasons but this is a testimony for this gun. Can all BPI products handle this kind of testing? I dont know if it were me I would follow the manufactures guidelines. By the way he was not willing to do this same test on any of his guns. He did say he was impressed with this particular gun though. My point, I think if a person follows the guidelines any gun is safe. Lets hear your comments.

Quick Reply: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.